LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This kid rips

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    yea, that's it.

did you even READ my post??
    i did and i sensed jealousy and cynicism directed at someone you dont know. my comment wasnt aimed soley at you as there were several others ripping him after a 2 minute clip of him ripping.

Quote Originally Posted by headrow View Post
    the real star of this thread is that GIF. I nearly **** myself watching it over and over again. The more you watch it, the funnier it gets.
    its the reason i keep coming back to this thread

Quote Originally Posted by ripturbo View Post
    i did and i sensed jealousy and cynicism directed at someone you dont know. my comment wasnt aimed soley at you as there were several others ripping him after a 2 minute clip of him ripping.
    no jealousy & the only cynicism stems from having seen many kids that age or thereabouts who surf at a high level early in their life & then fade away for one reason or another (sadly, it's usually drugs). the guys who are still surfing, & surfing well, into adulthood are those who develop their skills more slowly. i wasn't "ripping" him. as i said, the kid's got talent; there's no denying that. i was simply trying to point out that i hope he doesn't fall into that, but it seemed (from the video) that he may be. judging by what someone who has met him said, it seems that he is not. but competitive surfing is seeing more & more superstar microgroms being pushed very hard by helicopter/soccer parents looking to either live vicariously thru, or make a buck off of, their kids. it's a shame, but it's true.
    remember, i work in a high-profile nj shop & see this kind of **** regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    NJSurfer42 - I am 100% on ripping harder, which is why i love surfing. I don't do it to have fun, meaning just cruise on a funboard at sunset, i do it because i want to be the best i can possibly be, because i know i can be better. there is nothing more fun than that to me - which is why i surf as much as possible and miss many personal events in my life. You should check out the movie One Track Mind, by the moonshine conspiracy, its a great movie (they made thicker than water, shelter, and september sessions ect) and they talk to the top surfers in the world (competitively) and ask them why they love surfing. Kudos to this kid, i hope he continues to kill it
    you contradicted yourself there a bit. "fun" is a subjective thing, as is surfing well. genuine thanks for the film suggestion, as i didn't know moonshine had released another film since brokedown melody. i'll def. check it out. see my previous response for the rest of my opinion on this matter.

He'll be Nike's next star j/k

http://vimeo.com/39436813

Honestly, he's pretty good

I thought this video was great, it's cool seeing kids perform at high levels. He is probably better half the people I see in the line up. I am sure this is a dumb question, what is GIF? BTW the billboard stickers don't bother me, he's probably emulating his favorite pro or has them cause he thinks it's cool. It can't be as bad a kids wearing $200 sneakers cause some B Ball player wears them.

more & more superstar microgroms being pushed very hard by helicopter/soccer parents looking to either live vicariously thru, or make a buck off of, their kids. it's a shame, but it's true.
    Hell yeah!... My parents wanted me to go to college because they didn't... Well I want my kid to win an ASP world title because I didn't, get me some free shwag that I couldn't pull on my own surfing merit, and make me some money to pay me back the cost of raising him... Oh wait you're saying it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    kid has talent, do doubt about it. i'm kinda concerned about the fact that he appears to have no etiquette whatsoever, as i counted at least 3 times in that clip that he burned other surfers...
    lol yeah I love the slow motion clip of him burning someone BAD at 1:43.

He is talented, but I can't help but think about how much I hate being burned by a grom. You can't yell at them, they are kids.... but they do that sh*t over and over.

again, he is talented. I give him as much credit in that category as possible. I couldn't even swim very well at 8 years old. I mean, it's hard to have a conversation with a kid that age but he is boosting and throwing the tail...

Check out the clip I posted of him surfing Hermosa and Quepos

he is as talented as any other tiny feather light agile kid. the true test comes when he actually starts growing.