LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 Fin Setup

Images
    Shaped the blank a year ago, sitting in the shed not getting any glass love...the tail doesnt quite know whether it wants to be a thumb, or rounded pin,...i'll just call it a hybrid.

Last edited by mitchell; Jul 31, 2011 at 11:36 PM.

what are the dims on that thing.. looks super fun

Looks canard-ish.

i thought canard referred to a fin or fins...

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i thought canard referred to a fin or fins...
    It does. When using a Canard setup, the location is a little different than a standard or McKee placement. Typically, the standard placement considers the front fins as the turning fins and the rear fins as trailers. As such, the toe-in & cant are also a little different.

A Canard, on the other hand, intends the rear fins to be the turning fins and the forward fins to enhance their capability. Of course, there's no shortage of variations of each.

Maybe LBCrew can weigh in and explain it a little better.

Images
    Dims are 6'2" x 20 1/2" x 2 1/2" Its a poly blank, but i'll glass it with epoxy resin.

Decent about of rocker both in the nose and tail...basically shortboard rocker. Maybe 2" TR and 5" NR

single concave under the chest to double concave through the fin cluster, vee out the tail.

The front fins are slightly closer to the rail and have slightly more toe-in.

Ray - i really dont know from McKee or Canard But i will say that the quad fin setup (all of it...distance from tail, distance from rail, toe-in, are pretty much copied from a couple quads i already have, or board repairs I templated...Jon Ashton, Xanadu, and WRVs. All of these quads have been small-medium wave fishy shapes.

Definately not one of those quads setups where the rear fins are well back on the board, away from the rail, and parallel to the stringer...like the rear fin of a tri fin just split in two and moved a couple inches away from the rail. I had one of those once and didnt like it.
    Last edited by mitchell; Aug 1, 2011 at 01:49 AM.

my shaper says the front fins placement is the same for a quad as a tri so it works

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i have a 6'0" dumpster diver style board w/ that set up. i've ridden it as a tri a few times & as a quad a few times, now i have it set up as a twin w/ a trailer (one of my all-time favorite fin configurations). we'll see how it goes if we ever get another stomach-chest high day...
    how much smaller is the trailer than the front two on your twin setup?

Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    how much smaller is the trailer than the front two on your twin setup?
    very. i'm using a glass set of the fcs mr-tfx.

these:

but in black.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray F. View Post
    It does. When using a Canard setup, the location is a little different than a standard or McKee placement. Typically, the standard placement considers the front fins as the turning fins and the rear fins as trailers. As such, the toe-in & cant are also a little different.

A Canard, on the other hand, intends the rear fins to be the turning fins and the forward fins to enhance their capability. Of course, there's no shortage of variations of each.

Maybe LBCrew can weigh in and explain it a little better.
    gotcha. thought you were referring to the template of the board. thus my confusion...