LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Images
    Network Engineer and Web Designer turned Restaurant Manager. I manage a few restaurants now. Great money. Perfect surfing hours. Keeps me in the water on the daily. If the stoke ever runs low, I will probably retreat back into an office building somewhere. No time soon though.

Images
    lifeguard surf whenever there are waves

I distribute patio heaters for two manufacturers in California. My company (www.sunglowind.com) distributes from Maine to Florida so business travel is often close to the coast. If anyone has a restaurant patio that needs some Quality patio heaters, let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    you can make it work if you really want to. the hours spent in a classroom or hospital far away from the ocean will likely be paid back ten-fold after you graduate, tho that depends on the course you choose. personally, that wouldn't be my locale of choice at this stage in my life, but at 18 i made the choice to go to school inland for a change in geographic scenery & surroundings. it was a great decision if for no other reason than the fact that it reinforced my desire to live w/in walking distance of the ocean.
    i know several doctors that went to school inland & surf. one is my gp.
    When I was in school (not that long ago) my main objective was to spend as much time near the beach. I Went to school near the beach, and lifeguarded in the summer. Than my buddy told me, and kind of opened my eyes, when he was working his ass off in school becoming an engineer, that even though you may miss some swells here and there because of school, in the long range you will have more liberty to surf. You dont want to bum it through your 20's and end up with a ****ty job making minimum wage with a family to support when your 35. Wouldnt you rather be taking awesome surf trips around the world and be able to afford a house near the beach.

Moral of the story is, sometimes you have to make sacrifices. But you also have to be able to know where your heart is, and for me I havent lost that despite not being at the beach everyday anymore.

PS when you are making 250K and have 6 weeks of pair leave its not a bad life either.

Quote Originally Posted by HaoleNJ View Post
    When I was in school (not that long ago) my main objective was to spend as much time near the beach. I Went to school near the beach, and lifeguarded in the summer. Than my buddy told me, and kind of opened my eyes, when he was working his ass off in school becoming an engineer, that even though you may miss some swells here and there because of school, in the long range you will have more liberty to surf. You dont want to bum it through your 20's and end up with a ****ty job making minimum wage with a family to support when your 35. Wouldnt you rather be taking awesome surf trips around the world and be able to afford a house near the beach.

Moral of the story is, sometimes you have to make sacrifices. But you also have to be able to know where your heart is, and for me I havent lost that despite not being at the beach everyday anymore.

PS when you are making 250K and have 6 weeks of pair leave its not a bad life either.
    This guy is worth listening to, you college pukes.

Financial analyst at a major publisher. Just moved to this company and the time off package is very generous as well as their policy with working from home so I expect to be in the water a lot more in the coming years

Marketing Manager for a non-profit health based organization, marketing publications. Used to do it for a scientific organizations and we had meetings in Hawaii, Acapulco, plus San Francisco every year. Got to surf Santa Cruz a few times in nice December swells.

Images
    I am a Diesel Mechainc for Pepsi. I work second shift so I can get out for Dawn Patrol and I have weekends off. Its a pretty cool job I am pretty much work by myself after the day shift guy leaves at 2pm . I got alot of time off and the Pay is good too.

this grown-up business is scaring the **** out of me

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    I'm obviously in the minority here (what else is new) but I kinda don't want to know what people on this board do for a living. If I wanted to know that, I'd PM the guy or get together for a few beers.

I just like reading the rants, raves & the opinions. I prefer the opinions to be unqualified by 'what you do for a living.'
    f u c k that's so DC & NY
    Yankee,

I have poke fun @ you on this one, you're just afraid if some woman finds out what you do she'll want you to buy her a house .................