LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 99

Thread: Lets go Emily

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by SJerzSrfr View Post
    I could not agree more. magic seaweed is the absolute worst..... and i still have friends who check it and really think there are gonna be waves when every other site is calling it dead ass flat and theres absolutely no swell whatsoever. worst overforecasting site ever.
    Agreed...I would check out swell info Dot Com...Oh yeah, we're already there! What would Sean Collins Say?

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chadwick
    Posts
    1,297
    models range monday goes from 15 mph wind depression in west florida gulf to 129 mph off Hatteras,or somewhere in-between.interesting enough to see.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    OCMD, Miami
    Posts
    14
    Is it still too early to start getting really excited for this? I know Micah said 48 hours out is when we get the best projection. The model is showing category 1 right around NC but I still feel like some if this is wishful thinking.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by BRbodyboard View Post
    Is it still too early to start getting really excited for this? I know Micah said 48 hours out is when we get the best projection. The model is showing category 1 right around NC but I still feel like some if this is wishful thinking.
    The National Hurricane Center forecasts on this system repeatedly have said their uncertainty of this storm surviving as it moves over Haiti/Dominican Republic... Right now, it is still very ragged. There is certainly potential... But hurricane forecasts are just not so great, especially when moving over islands.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,303
    Images
    255
    Definately a tough one to forecast...look at the satellite loop now....

    The convection isnt colocated with the center of circulation, and the storm is still south of DR/Haiti and moving west. When is it going to turn?

    http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/rams...ve_vis_floater
    Last edited by mitchell; Aug 3, 2011 at 05:00 PM.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Definately a tough one to forecast...look at the satellite loop now....

    The convection isnt colocated with the center of circulation, and the storm is still south of DR/Haiti and moving west. When is it going to turn?

    http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/rams...ve_vis_floater
    ya, the storm is hurting to maintain a center of circulation. Unless it gets its act together, it may fizzle.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    ya, the storm is hurting to maintain a center of circulation. Unless it gets its act together, it may fizzle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFGv8m1kxIY

  8. #48
    if the storm survives over hispaniola, it might do what Bret did and stay out of the swell window for the mid atlantic. granite, Bret wasn't a very strong storm, however its all about placement.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ocean City
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpy View Post
    Agreed...I would check out swell info Dot Com...Oh yeah, we're already there! What would Sean Collins Say?
    yo whats up pumpy. long time. Sean would say screw the EC and go to indo.

  10. #50
    Respectfully, I disagree with everyone's negative view of Magic Seaweed. I find it to be very useful if you know how to interpret the data.

    You can't take what it says as literal surf heights like swellinfo, and most other surf predictions. However if you know how to interpret swell data for the breaks you frequent, there's alot of good stuff there.

    For example, swellinfo takes into account swell height and period, and then the graphic/prediction shows you wave heights. Magic seaweeds graphics show you swell height, and tells you the period, but it doesn't predict the actual wave height. You have to do that last step, but it does give you a lot of raw data.

    I find it especially useful for predicting small stuff. Sometimes other sites that do all the work for you will basically be predicting it to be knee high, when the swell/period combination might actually produce a waist high wave at certain breaks, if you'r familiar with how the breaks respond.
    Then again I'm a little older, and I used to have to interpret weather data to get a decent forecast.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking anything away from this site. I'm a huge fan. But I just think Magic seaweed is good for what it is.