LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,196

    surfers are not athletes...

    yet the only 2 athletes to win 10 titles in their respective sports are kelly slater & jamie mitchell (who won yesterday's molokai to oahu paddleboard race...in record time...again...for the 10th consecutive year) are both ocean sports athletes. we all know who kelly slater is, but to say that jamie mitchell is a talented surfer would be an understatement.
    linky: http://www.surfersjournal.com/photo/2011-08-01-0
    official jamie mitchell website: http://jamie-mitchell.com/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    485
    Those times are pretty beastly. Just completing that paddle is uber-impressive, but the times that guy posts...freaking unbelievable.

  3. #3
    My high school star quarterback took up surfing toward our junior year. He would go out on the Cocoa Beach small stuff. Saw him on a Tropical Storm 5 ft groundswell day the following year. He was stuck in the shorebreak & could not get out. Later in the parking lot he asked me how we did it. Kinda cool telling the star jock he had to be in shape.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Topo View Post
    My high school star quarterback took up surfing toward our junior year. He would go out on the Cocoa Beach small stuff. Saw him on a Tropical Storm 5 ft groundswell day the following year. He was stuck in the shorebreak & could not get out. Later in the parking lot he asked me how we did it. Kinda cool telling the star jock he had to be in shape.
    Good story, duuuuuude. And then you went out & threw the football, what, 60 yards in the air & on the money into the hands of an incredible athlete racing down the field at warp speed....?

    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    1,184

    Respect the sport

    So check out ,me and my surfing bud ARGUE with this one dude he works with all the time.This guys like 50ish and has NEVER surfed in his life but being he's almost a scratch golfer and WAS an athlete back in his day he tells us he's that he can just go right out there his first time and start surfing.So we haven't set a date yet but it will happen this year and guess who's bringing the video camera.O yea you know it!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Good story, duuuuuude. And then you went out & threw the football, what, 60 yards in the air & on the money into the hands of an incredible athlete racing down the field at warp speed....?

    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    doubt the high school qb did either. are you as d i c k ish in real life as you are here? probably so , huh? yankees suck.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Good story, duuuuuude. And then you went out & threw the football, what, 60 yards in the air & on the money into the hands of an incredible athlete racing down the field at warp speed....?

    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I think I would rather watch Obama give our money to his wall street ahole friends than watch football. I never understood a game of inches with guys who can't add to 10.
    Last edited by barrels4liam; Aug 2, 2011 at 02:25 AM. Reason: I shouldn't talk about the President's eating habits. I'm sure he doesn't like mud sharks in his mouth

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    So check out ,me and my surfing bud ARGUE with this one dude he works with all the time.This guys like 50ish and has NEVER surfed in his life but being he's almost a scratch golfer and WAS an athlete back in his day he tells us he's that he can just go right out there his first time and start surfing.So we haven't set a date yet but it will happen this year and guess who's bringing the video camera.O yea you know it!
    Exactly, people have no idea. You will get the fat sloth that thinks if he can play baseball, he can surf. Well baseball can be played by 300 pound fat ****s. Surfing you have to be in top shape. Paddling alone will turn most athletes arms into noodles. It just takes time and most people in this country want immediate results. Please post the video of this guy. You probably only have to put him in chest high ground swell and he will **** his pants, lol.

    I always have these old guys on the beach who are just spectators telling me that the other surfers are two jettys down and that's where it looks good. I say settle down, grandpa, I'm fine hear getting barrelled. They can surf the soft crumblers two jettys down.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    3,313
    Many surfers are in shape & are athletic. And we all know that you're going to achieve your best sessions not fat, not hungover, not sucking wind.

    However. That's not to say that 'in shape' surfers can throw a ball, shoot a jumper, hit a pitched baseball, go 3 minutes in the ring x 10 or perform any one of a number of other sports activities. The comparisons seem useless.

    Agreed: the fat chair-surfer boyz on the beach are talking stoopid when they comment on surfing. This is no different than the same tools commenting on any sport from their a s s imprinted barstools.

    This 'debate' strikes me as pointless. Many surfers are in shape & athletic, yes, but many surfers are incapable of doing anything but surfing. I've seen many ripped surfers who throw a ball as well as Oprah Winfrey does. Brutal.

    As well, I've seen some bloated dudes who can surf pretty decently, but who would croak if they had to run to 7-11 for their beer or if they had to ride a road bike over to their local Arby's.

    Every sport is different. Them that can, do. Them that can't.....talk.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Many surfers are in shape & are athletic. And we all know that you're going to achieve your best sessions not fat, not hungover, not sucking wind.

    However. That's not to say that 'in shape' surfers can throw a ball, shoot a jumper, hit a pitched baseball, go 3 minutes in the ring x 10 or perform any one of a number of other sports activities. The comparisons seem useless.

    Agreed: the fat chair-surfer boyz on the beach are talking stoopid when they comment on surfing. This is no different than the same tools commenting on any sport from their a s s imprinted barstools.

    This 'debate' strikes me as pointless. Many surfers are in shape & athletic, yes, but many surfers are incapable of doing anything but surfing. I've seen many ripped surfers who throw a ball as well as Oprah Winfrey does. Brutal.

    As well, I've seen some bloated dudes who can surf pretty decently, but who would croak if they had to run to 7-11 for their beer or if they had to ride a road bike over to their local Arby's.

    Every sport is different. Them that can, do. Them that can't.....talk.
    Word. Shawn Briley is an amazing surfer...I would seriously doubt his ability to do much else aside from a no-holds barred street fight.