LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Good story, duuuuuude. And then you went out & threw the football, what, 60 yards in the air & on the money into the hands of an incredible athlete racing down the field at warp speed....?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oucchh, I can't throw a football 10 yards & hit the broad side of a barn. Do this next game you watch. Put a stopwatch on any player; quarterback, nose tackle, etc. A typical NFL player actually does about 5 minutes of activity in any game. Could I do it- No. I would rather spend my money on a Tennis Tounament like the Leggs Mason in DC this week instead of any football or foosball game this season. My opinion- they are better athletes & so are Pro Surfers even if they cant tackle. Cheers

HO-LY ****! this is not the thread i hoped to start at all. jesus, who knew this would get so many people's panties in a twist!
    i just figured it would be neat to highlight a relatively obscure event, esp. in light of slater's recent 10th world title...something he was the first to do. something no football player, cyclist, runner, baseball player, gymnast, etc...could accomplish. & something i find wonderfully ironic when you take into account that slater's manager tried to get him on a wheaties box not long after he won his first world title & was told that wheaties only puts genuine athletes on their boxes (i just re-read slater's bio, "pipe dreams"...an interesting read. i'm no slater-stalker).

There's a theory in education started by a guy named Gardener back in the 80s that says there are "multiple intelligences." Schools pretty much run on this theory today because it's been able to both explain and predict a lot about why people are the way they are, and how some people can become really good at certain things. Today, we believe there are as many as 9 different intelligences, one of them being Bodily/Kinesthetic Intelligence, which has been identified with certain areas of the brain and how well it functions. Even very small children begin to show signs of this form of intelligence, before any kind of training or practice at any particular skill.

In this thread, I'd argue that athletes that are considered "all-around athletes" posses this form of intelligence. It's more then just being strong or fast. It also has to do with coordination, grace, body mechanics, efficiency of movement, reaction time... and a lot of other things that can also be improved with practice, conditioning and training. People like this also often get good at other things that overlap into kinesthetic skills... like playing guitar, or creating art.... both rooted in physical movement and bodily control. If they are truly kinesthetically intelligent, and go on to develop those skills and become athletes, then those are the guys (and women) we come to know as "all-around athletes."

Then there are people who are really good at only one thing. A lot of guys are only golfers... or arm wrestlers... or marathon runners. Are they athletes? By virtue of the fact that they train and focus on a single sport, and excel in it to the degree that they're better at it than everybody else (or almost everybody else), I'd say yes, they are. But there has to be some distinction between those who happen to be gifted in a particular skill (much like olympic weight lifters or competitive eaters) and those who posses superior kinesthetic intelligence.

Ten world titles in anything seems to me... superhuman. But what kind of "athlete" are we taking about? Slater strikes me as an "all-around" athlete.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Aug 2, 2011 at 12:02 PM.

Images
    I can surf..play football, softball, mountain bike, basketball, hockey, frisbee, beach volley ball, soccer, tennis, ping pong, etc. I am awesome..but not as awesome our resident glory hole riding "yankee" fan.

An athlete knows an athlete. An athlete is one who has sports come easily to them. Easy to learn, easy to succeed. We all know who we are...period. Just cause you surf or play some other sport...doesn't make you what many would call "a natural". Go watch a youth sports league ie. soccer or little league, you can see the naturals at a young age. Even watching a person how they run can show his/her athleticism.

Seeing how the guy above me brought motor learning theories into the topic, ill expand on it, since i'm halfway thru my kinesiology college major.

to be good at surfing you need to practice a lot and the key is VARIATION of practice. your not gonna get good if all you surf is head high short beach break closeouts. you needa practice with as much variation as possible. Practice in freezing water, surf reefbreaks, surf switch stance, practice airs, surf right when you wake up, surf with the goal of catching as many waves as possible, surf and try to ride the wave all the way to shore, wakeboard. Switch it up.

If you can do that, then you will get good. In fact you would get better that way then just trying the same floater every wave of your session, because especially in such a dynamic sport like surfing, there is NO such thing as muscle memory (everything is changing/moving)

But to be able to surf with that variability you're definitely gonna need to be in good shape, cardio and strength wise. So YES good surfers = athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Maybe I am. What of it. Do you think I care about your negative man-hating female opinions, Elmer Fudd ? What are you, brain-damaged from the fumes in the kitchen at Popeyes?

In basic response to your feeble online bleatings, it must be said that you're the type of online negative shadow stalker where, in person, the only thing needed for a quick extinguishment is bare hands, which may come as a complete shock to any little feeb in this sad era of mouthy twits turning & running for mama or for a weapons stash.

Understand that it's just opinions on this board. So get off my arse. Of course, if you have a problem with me, then put up or STFU sporty.
    you do care,negativity aint my game its yours,i run a successful small biz which allows me complete freedom and its so easy to ruin people from where we are behind our screens aint it. but its just an opinion thing. only thing is nobody elses matters but yours.as far as the bare hands thing,thats beneath me too a point,dont let your creedly little kook fingers write a check you cant cash a22hole

Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    I'm kind of surprised of the responses on this thread. First off, i love sports. I watch every eagles game and as many phillies and flyers games as i am able. I played 2 sports in high school. I love being competitive and feeling a will to bet an opponent. What draws me to surfing (overly drawing) is that I'm competitive with myself and it's a humbling experience being in the ocean. Surfing is what ruined my future for my other athletic aspirations such as playing soccer in college, because I couldn't bare play the damn sport during hurricane season. It made me quit all the sports I played when i was younger, so many of my peers thought i wasn't as athletic or as good as them at that particular sport, and most thought surfing is all about balance and not a whole lot about athleticism. Surfing is a mind game, like golf, except in golf the variables are as severe (flatness, cold, type of waves, kooks, ect). We are athletes, just a different breed; a weird breed i might add, but i like that.
    Well Said...Ive always thought surfing is very similar to Golf....both are very mental and very selfish driven activities). But surfing is way more fun!