LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill View Post
    It's not the board it's the person riding the board. That's true
    for long boards, shortboards, surf ski's, and SUP's. Been all over the world
    have a quiver ranging from a 5'9 pod to a 12' prone paddleboard
    with everything in between, including SUP. Seen inappropriate, stupid
    moves committed by riders of every type of equipment.
    I agree that they are kooks on all equipment but SUPS cause the biggest risk. For safety reasons alone, I would rather have a kook on a shortboard/funshape than an SUP ready to decapitate me.

Quote Originally Posted by glassjaw View Post

However, down in the banks everyone has etiquette, even the SUP'ers. The only ones who don't are the people from VA on to the north. In VA the SUP are 10 times more abundant and 100 times more inconsiderate.
    May want to broaden your sample data.... there are always 12 kooky dudes on sups at the light house, just like at the VB oceanfront. Rule of thumb- dont surf anywhere that has convenient parking and showers if SUPs and kooks bother you, simple as that. Nobody wants to lug an 80lb sup board over a dune to the beach. If you are fighting with crowds you gotta ask yourself, is it really any better here than a few blocks / miles away? If you are sitting around in a crowd complaining about kooks, well, you may be a kook.

If you are sitting around in a crowd complaining about kooks, well, you may be a kook.
    Hittin the nail on the head

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    I actually a few surfer who take out Sup's when its flat. They use them for distance paddleing and they fish from them as well. Its a shame a few people tarnished something that does have its place in the surfing culture
    Just curious... where do they have their place in surfing culture?

Quote Originally Posted by live aloha View Post
    Has anyone yet tried charging the Bay on an SUP? I searched youtube and couldn't find anything...oh wait, google image delivers...

http://seandavey.com/wordpress/wp-co...20509_0864.jpg

damn, that's super ballsy. that wave jacks up so quickly and violently, even more so than Pipe because it's so massive and unpredictable. this guy has some serious cajones for even trying it.
    There are some real jerks that are very proud of themselves riding/trying to ride Wedge.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rodndtube View Post
    Just curious... where do they have their place in surfing culture?
    Cause weather you like it or not they are used for wave riding. I assume the people who use them get the same stoke on them as you do. There are many forms of wave riding , Shortboard, longboard, Sponge, Skim , Kite surfing and Sup's.

SUP's Have been around by since the 60's its not a new thing just made populare by Laird.

Surfer now adays are fixated on being good surfers rather than good watermen. If they did there would be less of this join the cool kids and hate Sup's stuff
    Last edited by MATT JOHNSON; Aug 6, 2011 at 10:01 PM.

Kooks are kooks. I can't wait to borrow this thing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL14L...layer_embedded

Cause weather you like it or not they are used for wave riding. I assume the people who use them get the same stoke on them as you do. There are many forms of wave riding , Shortboard, longboard, Sponge, Skim , Kite surfing and Sup's.

SUP's Have been around by since the 60's its not a new thing just made populare by Laird.

Surfer now adays are fixated on being good surfers rather than good watermen. If they did there would be less of this join the cool kids and hate Sup's stuff
    They have been around since the hollow surfboard days of Tom Blake -- that goes back a good bit further. Prior to the hollow board days SUPs were not practical because even the big olos would sink when not moving.

Just because SUPs are used to ride waves doesn't mean I need to embrace the SUP culture. Too many SUP riders are motivated to ride SUPs for the same reasons so many longboarders are motivated to ride longboards -- to catch more waves than the other guy. This is particularly the case for so many SUP riders. They are rather blatant about it. They are increasingly becoming a pain in the butt in Hawaii and Puerto Rico. Their sense of etiquette mostly does not exist. It is driven by greed and overcrowding in the surf. Many a SUP rider has told me they have moved to SUP to catch waves in the crowds.

Surfer now adays are fixated on being good surfers rather than good watermen.
    What exactly is a "waterman" anyway? And why, as a surfer, would I want to be a "good waterman" rather than a good surfer?

SUP apologists want to afford them some kind of respect as a different waveriding tool, which is fine in theory. Surf mats have their place, Rod's paipos have their place (not hating, just illustrating!), and so on and so forth. The problem with admitting SUPs into the realm of legitimacy is that you're simultaneously making it OK to catch waves without any semblance of understanding of the lineup you're a part of, which seems pretty antithetical to the notion of a "waterman" to me (at least, what I assume it means).

Like Aquilles, I've got one, and it's a bunch of fun for exercise on flat days, but I'd sooner stop surfing than paddle into a lineup on the thing.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    What exactly is a "waterman" anyway? And why, as a surfer, would I want to be a "good waterman" rather than a good surfer?

SUP apologists want to afford them some kind of respect as a different waveriding tool, which is fine in theory. Surf mats have their place, Rod's paipos have their place (not hating, just illustrating!), and so on and so forth. The problem with admitting SUPs into the realm of legitimacy is that you're simultaneously making it OK to catch waves without any semblance of understanding of the lineup you're a part of, which seems pretty antithetical to the notion of a "waterman" to me (at least, what I assume it means).

Like Aquilles, I've got one, and it's a bunch of fun for exercise on flat days, but I'd sooner stop surfing than paddle into a lineup on the thing.
    "A waterman is ready, willing and able to ride waves of all sizes and conditions using a diverse array of equipment"

to answer your question, surfline did an entire feature on "watermen". and just a warning, there are bunch of SUP guys in there
    http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/wh...moniker_47114/