LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "WORKday" Surf

1. "WORKday" Surf

its a catch 22 to see the swell coming in during the week. part of me is amped to see the vids and pictures people post but then, i cant stand having to sit in a f***en cube knowing this is the best surf of the summer. i wish my office was more understanding of mental sick days. i would take the time off but right now i cant. being from manasquan and living in new york city is great, except for this coming week. of course i go home on weekends but i cant even remember the last good weekend surf.

anyone feeling this way? what i wouldnt do to get out of the office for just one day and surf my old break...

enjoy the swell and kill it for us cube slaves.

cube slave here, im going to shred all weekend plus every weekday dawn patrol and evening session. Gotta make the most, bra!

I will have a stomach virus of some sort of another kind o f virus with high fever if we get waves Monday or Tuesday from Emily, hoping it catches a speedline up north and brings waves Saturday and Sunday here in VB/obx area but not counting on it, just planning to be out Monday

Images
    One of my Kids will be sick and I will have to take them to the Dr's

I work a mid day shift so I can get Dawn sessions mostly and weekends I have off so it isnt too bad for me

I either dawn it and rinse with a gallon of water before heading to the cube, or if it's REALLY good, I'll call out with anal glaucoma. aka I can;t see my @#$ coming into work.

Quote Originally Posted by surf_squan1219 View Post
    its a catch 22 to see the swell coming in during the week. part of me is amped to see the vids and pictures people post but then, i cant stand having to sit in a f***en cube knowing this is the best surf of the summer. i wish my office was more understanding of mental sick days. i would take the time off but right now i cant. being from manasquan and living in new york city is great, except for this coming week. of course i go home on weekends but i cant even remember the last good weekend surf.

anyone feeling this way? what i wouldnt do to get out of the office for just one day and surf my old break...

enjoy the swell and kill it for us cube slaves.

i feel ya man. i actually live in monmouth county now (working in hoboken) so i can usually squeeze a dp or get in after work but my gf got a new job in the city and we're thinking about moving there. i can barely surf weekdays anyway (ideal conditionals are almost 100% during the day - tide, wind, etc), plus when there's waves on a weekend, i can just crash at my parents for the weekend.

point being, i only take off when i know it's going to be a macker. this swell is no macker. don't get stressed about some waist-chest high bs.

i feel your pain though and i'm sure everyone else does as well. there hasn't been a decent wave in the water for months. i'm learning not to make major life decisions based on surfing for the reason that there are simply not enough days of rideable surf. california? that's one thing. NJ, that's another.
    Last edited by mOtion732; Aug 4, 2011 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    i'm learning not to make major life decisions based on surfing
    Epic fail..... you only get one crack at life and when an opportunity passes you by, you don't ever get it back. Not just with surfing but with everything. I had to go through some serious health stuff for this to actually sink in. I had heard it before but now I understand what it really means to have no opportunity wasted. Now, my friends say I'm always Turbo. I'd rather be Turbo than regretful!

Quote Originally Posted by wang View Post
    Epic fail..... you only get one crack at life and when an opportunity passes you by, you don't ever get it back. Not just with surfing but with everything. I had to go through some serious health stuff for this to actually sink in. I had heard it before but now I understand what it really means to have no opportunity wasted. Now, my friends say I'm always Turbo. I'd rather be Turbo than regretful!
    how is this an epic fail? 'im making good $ and have an opportunity to pursue a great career while still being able to surf(just not EVERY DAY) and make money to take big time trips, have a nice house, etc. what you're saying is i should quit my job and bail on this life to surf, especially when waves come this infrequent? i can just take off for big swells anyway.
    Last edited by mOtion732; Aug 4, 2011 at 04:52 PM.

Images
    In response to WANG

I think what he's saying is save the days off for when we have guaranteed head high hurricane swell. Not might have waist high weak waves.

As far as not missing an opportunity... there are more important opportunities in life than getting every waste high swell.

For example, there's 2 guys.

Guy #1, calls out every time theres waves and next time there's an opportunity for advancement at his job, his boss gives it to the other guy who has been around more and is more committed to the company. He gets to surf a lot but the ceiling for advancement for him is pretty low.

Guy #2, busts his butt at work for the first five years and misses most waste high swells. He still gets some on the weekends but not much. But he gets into a position where he gets 5 weeks off of work and makes a good amount of money. Then he has saved enough money to go on an indo boat trip.

The choice is, do you want a lot of waste to shoulder high waves now? Or set yourself up for a lot of waste to shoulder high later and trips to wherever you want.

Images
    Then guy #1 meets a nice girl and has to explain to her that the reason he still lives in his parents basement is because he can't afford a house. He takes off too much and never advanced in his career but his wrap around cutback is pretty sick. Guy #2's wrap around is just alright but he goes to Hawaii, nica and costa once each year.