LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Wetsuits for north-east surfer

Currently I have a 3/2 full body wetsuit. I have a feeling that this is only good enough for spring and fall seasons on the east coast. In the summer I will surf with a rash guard on if that. I was wondering if you agree or have any suggestions on what I would need to be surfing all year round on the north east coast.

I think the questions you are asking are best figured on your own or with close friends that you can learn with. Call me on old fashioned but asking a surf forum on the internet just seems unnatural to me.....surfing is all about the search my man.

If you're looking to buy the least amount of suit possible and surf all year, you'll need a heavier hooded suit, boots and gloves. I recomend 5/4/3 at a minimum with attached hood, and 5 mil min for boots and gloves.

That would get you through full season in NJ. points further south may vary. For ideal comfort, you could of course buy more suits/boots/gloves at different thicknesses to fill the gaps, but you dont have to as the above will work for everything NJ dishes out.

Personally, I made the jump from a 5/4/3 to a 6/5/4 a few years ago and love it. But I'm older and fatter now so the extra warmth outweighs the little bit extra bulk for me. I also upped to 7 mil gloves and booties and prefer it over the 5 mils.

I know there's a handful on threads on this very subject. Search before you post, please.

I use a 3/2 in the fall and spring. Bought a 4:3 Mutant (w/ detachable hood) last summer and plan to use that when the 3/2 won't cut. I go to my 6:4 hooded in the dead-of-the-winter but am thinking about trying a 5/4/3 to get some more flexibility.

Someone on here created the attached chart. It's a good reference.

Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    search button is your friend

GO to the wetsuit review thread. Lots of good info on what wetsuits hold up best, which ones are sealed well, etc.

dont be a puss, 3/2 is plenty warm. Mind over matter, brah!

unless you sponge or longboard 6 mil full is restricto on a shortboard,so,a good 5 mil w/5mil gloves,7mil boots is as much as you need,unless the air is insanely cold

Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    unless you sponge or longboard 6 mil full is restricto on a shortboard,so,a good 5 mil w/5mil gloves,7mil boots is as much as you need,unless the air is insanely cold
    totally agree w/ this. & don't skimp just to save a couple bucks...whatever brand you settle on, get that company's top of the line suit. there is a BIG difference between the basic entry-level suits & the top of the line.

i also have issues w/ the above-posted temp. chart...but that's a different thread for a different time.

Ok so here is my 2 sence on things. First of all that chart posted above is accurate to perfection. And I would say that to surf full season while keeping your wallet as thick as possible you will need a 5/4 and a 3/2. Someone on here posted that all you need is a 5/4. I disagree. That logic leaves May, June, September, and October out. In those monthes you will be too cold to go with boardies, but will sweaatt your BALLS OFF in a 5/4. Trust me, late spring/early fall you will never be able to surf with a 5/4 on.

^^^ and regarding njsurfers comment.. Not ennttirely true. You should never go with the entry level suit, but the top of the line isnt exactly necessary either. I ussually go with the one right below the top of the line suit, example: xcel x-zip (great suit, and 100$ less then the top suit)

Have a blast in the off season. Fall is the bestt. Im stoked )