LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SurfboardBuilders.com?????

Anyone have any experience with them?? How about Degree33??? or Isle Surfboards????

Lookin to buy a new fish soon. want something with quality that isn't as expensive as some of the better brands out there.. What do you guys think about the sites that i named up top??

if you dont know what you want then you dont know how to surf

go to your local shaper tell him what you want , just like everything else in life most of the time your paying for a name brand

Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    isn't as expensive as some of the better brands out there..
    this pretty much sums it up...you get what you pay for, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    if you dont know what you want then you dont know how to surf
    i've only ridden one surfboard in my life... idiot..

I know a dude that has a degree33 board and says they are legit epoxy construction wise comparable with boardworks (Hynson, Von sol, Webber). I'll take his word for it because
    1. He orders boardworks from a friend of mine who is the local rep so he knows both well
    2. Where I live PU boards die on the regular ... most folks ride some type of Firewire, epoxy custom shapes, or the easier to acquire factory made stuff like powerlyte, tufflite, boardworks, or GSI
    However
    1. the board is a funboard/ fishy shape and looking at the degree 33 website there's not too much on there that I would personally ride
    2. We live 6,100 miles away from the US so boards are expensive causing folks to shop around alot and I'm not sold that he didn't sacrifice something with that board for such a low price
    3. Closest thing we have to a local shaper is a guy in Japan so the obvious \"do the right thing\" talk to a shaper cannot be done.

Since you have only ridden one board, stay with a local shaper. He knows the waves and will understand what you better need than buying a board that came out of a card board box with a name brand on it shaped by ghost shaper. You will also put money back in to the local area and help that shapers business.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    Lookin to buy a new fish soon. want something with quality that isn't as expensive as some of the better brands out there..

Used board racks are your friend. This time of year + flat spell means you are probably able to get a good deal on a used fish. I see good used lightly boards from on the racks all the time for under $350. Why go with some random online junk for more money? They're all used boards eventually.
    Last edited by mitchell; Aug 16, 2011 at 07:26 PM.

idk about used board racks most of what i see on the used rack in stores is overpriced and in terrible condition. what i would do though is ask around and find someone who owns a fish but never rides it, like someone who bought it to learn and never really picked it up. if you make that person an offer you can prob get a board a lot cheaper than buying from a store or shaper. use other gear you have to haggle too

No experience with Surfboardbuilders.com, but all the shapers there are top name brands, and the prices are about what you should expect to pay for a custom from a local shaper that know's his stuff. My guess is if you add shipping you really aren't saving any money.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Aug 16, 2011 at 08:43 PM.