LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"will you teach me to surf?"

Got this question from my six year old girl the other day after watching 'Soul Surfer' for the 4th time. I've been in the water almost 20 years but never taught anyone how to surf. Any suggestions?

Wifey would probably be more conducive to out of country surf trips if the girl is going with. Or she could just block for me

Images
    dont try to go right to a surfboard, start on a boogie board so she will realize how the waves work. Then right to a shortboard. theres enough longboarders

She's got the boogie thing down and has an understanding of the dynamics of how to catch a wave. When she stood up on the boogie board while she was in the pool and gave me that 'what now?' look, I figured it was time to evolve.

Get her a beater board, they're allot of fun and safe not to mention you can teach her outside of the designated surf areas in VB. 17th st has them for 149.00 with out the fin and i think 160 something with one.

I would put her on a regular board. Nothing huge but enough float so its relatively stable. Take her out on smaller low tide days where you can accompany her without needing a board yourself. Teach he to paddle but push her into some waves to keep it fun (she most likely won't catch any on her own).

My girls are too young yet, but I've tried this approach with relatives. Amazing how exciting 1 foot whitewash is to a kid learning to stand on a board

Images
    Yeah either get her a board just be enough to float her but still be stalbe or a get her a Liquid shredder or and BZ it would be a safer than a regulare board if she has a spill and falls
    Also let her learn at her own pace dont get discouraged if she dont pick it up as fast as u would like . and Have fun sharing the stoke

My daughters 6, I got her a sk8board and she messes aroung on the bosu ball while i do my workouts, balance and strength is key. +1 to pkovo, paddle out on small days and from ur board or while swimming, push her into the wave and comunicate to her to paddle 2-3 times and stand up. We even practice popping up around the house just cuz she thinks its fun. If u have a pool, let her paddle around on a board. And if shes big enough to take a couple on the head while in the ocean, give her some space to figure it all out and fall in love.

Def start on a foam/soft board. They have them on Craigslist for around $100.

Then dig deep for the patience to stand waist deep and push her into them and not constantly yell advice. As she gets comfortable have her paddle back to you.

You'd be surprised how easy even in little surf they pearl and get upset. Most importantly make sure she never puts the board between her and the ocean. My kid got rocked with a shot to the nose when he didn't heed my advice.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    Yeah either get her a board just be enough to float her but still be stalbe or a get her a Liquid shredder or and BZ it would be a safer than a regulare board if she has a spill and falls
    Also let her learn at her own pace dont get discouraged if she dont pick it up as fast as u would like . and Have fun sharing the stoke
    If you're worried about safety or the risk of breaking the board then go with a soft top. I know some of the nicer soft tops are pretty expensive though, sometimes more than just buying a regular board which she can use even after she learns. I would recommend a decent sized fun board from ron jon or something like that

Thanks for the advise some of it I never would have considered I'm not a great teacher. We're out to surf!