LOGIN | REGISTER

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    bethany beach
    Posts
    183
    Images
    7

    Surf/Camp Islands south of Chincoteague - advice if you've done it

    A couple years ago some of us went out on a boat near "big thrasher gut" and "metompkin inlet", south of Chincoteatgue and east of Onancock. There are some islands out there, and I'm trying to plan a long weekend surf trip out there. I have a boat that will get us out there just fine. Plan on camping, taking food, boards, firewood, etc, and bringing all our trash back out.
    Does anyone know if somebody owns those islands? they are just empty barrier islands? I saw some other people going out on a boat later in the day with camping gear and boards.
    I know it's surfable cuz i surfed there before. I know about bugs and that kind of thing, so we go late sept, october.
    Any advice on this trip is appreciated. I think i'll be fine, but anything I hadn't thought of would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by delawaredell View Post
    A couple years ago some of us went out on a boat near "big thrasher gut" and "metompkin inlet", south of Chincoteatgue and east of Onancock. There are some islands out there, and I'm trying to plan a long weekend surf trip out there. I have a boat that will get us out there just fine. Plan on camping, taking food, boards, firewood, etc, and bringing all our trash back out.
    Does anyone know if somebody owns those islands? they are just empty barrier islands? I saw some other people going out on a boat later in the day with camping gear and boards.
    I know it's surfable cuz i surfed there before. I know about bugs and that kind of thing, so we go late sept, october.
    Any advice on this trip is appreciated. I think i'll be fine, but anything I hadn't thought of would be appreciated.
    I have always wanted to go exploring out there, but don't have a boat at this time. All I know about the islands around there is that Hog Island/Broadwater is owned by The Nature Conservancy. http://www.webcams.travel/webcam/123...and-Broadwater
    You may try giving them a call and asking about the other islands in that area.
    http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives...inia/index.htm

    Let me know what you find out. I will go exploring out there sometime in the future and would love to know what is public land.

    EDIT:
    Looks like the nature conservancy owns all those islands. http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives...st-reserve.xml
    According to the rules, you can't camp on any of those islands: http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives...nsert_2009.pdf

    However, I would still give them a call. Maybe you can get a camping permit if they know you are only using the beach as a surfing trip.
    Last edited by brewengineer; Aug 16, 2011 at 08:07 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    bethany beach
    Posts
    183
    Images
    7
    Yeah, looks like you discovered that about the same time i did... I'll have to see if they will give me an exception, but I doubt it. Maybe i should ask for forgiveness instead of permission

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by delawaredell View Post
    Yeah, looks like you discovered that about the same time i did... I'll have to see if they will give me an exception, but I doubt it. Maybe i should ask for forgiveness instead of permission
    Here is another good site: http://www.deq.state.va.us/coastal/s...oalmyrtlesmith

    Honestly, if you pick an island area far from the USCG on Cedar Island, it is unlikely you will get caught. However, if you do get caught, I am guessing the fines are quite heavy.

  5. #5
    I have surfed several of the barrier islands, and I would not recommend trying to camp on any of them, but if you do be careful and keep your eyes peeled for authorities and crazy water people.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    bethany beach
    Posts
    183
    Images
    7
    brewengineer, do you brew for fun or for a job? my background is chemical engineering, and recently got into brewing.

    I'm going to give them a call sometime and see if they are able to give me an exception to camp there or something.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by delawaredell View Post
    brewengineer, do you brew for fun or for a job? my background is chemical engineering, and recently got into brewing.

    I'm going to give them a call sometime and see if they are able to give me an exception to camp there or something.
    I brew for fun, but work for a chemical company. Many of my friends are in the brewing industry, and I like to find ways to link my job to brewing. Engineers make great brewers.