LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Irene

i'm thinking about parking where i can see the water and bringing a camera and just watching. after the storm passes the models have 40kt offshores - not rideable at all. you wont be able to paddle back in

dude brah shred rip gnarly

Quote Originally Posted by RightCoastRipper View Post
    i'm thinking about parking where i can see the water and bringing a camera and just watching. after the storm passes the models have 40kt offshores - not rideable at all. you wont be able to paddle back in

Don't do it man, not if you like your windshield and paint. A sand-blasted windshield really sucks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewk529 View Post
    Someone should call 911 as soon as he hits the water
    That was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by jettyface View Post
    Do you think you could duck dive with a life jacket on? I just started surfing this year and I think Irene might be a good time to get used to bigger waves. Any thoughts?
    UMMMMM yea, just call the coast guard and let them know where your going to b surfing, with a little information about current strength, direction, and wave height they should b able to figure pretty closely where youll wash up... unfortunately you could strap yourself to a 55gal drum full of helium and a 20 ft wave will still pound you. even with a vest if you go over the falls on a 20 ft wave and land in 3 ft of water thats asking for a broken neck, a lifejacket will just help ur body float and make it a little easier to find. I really am not hating but i worked as beach partol and 5-7 ft waves can get hairy, ive seen great surfers get hurt. you gotta b a strong swimmer and KNOW YOUR WATER. if you think thats what you got and a half mile swim is doable with no surfboard give it a go!

Who else here is going out at 6 am on sunday morning to catch the 10-15 foot chops?

Images
    i think a dawn patrol on saturday is my best bet looking at the forecast right now, then we'll see what happens

Ugh, I'm more concerned about the flooding that's going to happen here in the VB area. My wife works this weekend downtown and I probably have to take her to work. I'm looking for a good route to avoid the many flood zones there.

I can forget about surfing this weekend, but there may be some surfable post-hurricane waves on Monday. I remember last year during the Labor Day weekend, we had a good window of nice waves after the hurricane (Earl?) passed and dissipated.

It looks like that window will be on sunday. It gets pretty clean at about 7 am on sunday.

everyone keeps comparing irene to earl, but it seems to be escaping everyone's notice that irene is a LOT closer to the coast than earl was. the winds are going to be far less favorable & a lot more intense & the waves are going to be bigger, but largely unridable. i really don't think we're going to see much, if any, surf from this system. by the time the winds back off & it cleans up, the swell will be gone. it's just too close to the shore.