LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Images
    That wuake was just a reminder that the entire eastern seaboard lays on top of the most dangerous and power fault line in North America.... It lies dormant most of the time... But the mountains from Georgia all the way up to maine were initially created by that very fault line... My dad works for noaa and reminded me of that when Baltimore had a quake about 2 years ago.... You never think about it, but that is a HUGE fault line...

And a 20-30 second quake is longer than anything ive ever felt in CA, and ive been in about 10 bigger quakes out here.... So, although it doesnt happen much, the potential for disaster on the east coast is huge.... Not ONE of your buildings, bridges or ANY structure has earthquake proofing or the proper engineering.... Since the 60s, everything in CA has to be earthquake resistant etc..... So this was a good eye opener...

As for The Hurricane... Hopefully it will swing out a tad, ease up on the wind and give you some good surf..... But just remember, just because the sea heights and offshore waves will be measured at 20ft+, that does NOT mean that you local beach break will be holding 20ft wave faces.... on gentle sloping beach breaks like that, I would assume you would see very, very dissorganized 10-12ft max wave faces... You need huge sandbars and huge deep spots on the shoreline for any beach break to peak up and get 20ft plus.... You have to have a setup like Blacks or OBX with a huge deep channel right offshore that funnels the energy up....

Point being, it will probably be a sloppy, giant mess, but this 20-30 foot waves are just not gonna happen. Not there... Maybe up in Rhode Island or something on a giant reef.... but not down in either OC.....

[QUOTE=zach619;10431

As for The Hurricane... Hopefully it will swing out a tad, ease up on the wind and give you some good surf..... But just remember, just because the sea heights and offshore waves will be measured at 20ft+, that does NOT mean that you local beach break will be holding 20ft wave faces.... on gentle sloping beach breaks like that, I would assume you would see very, very dissorganized 10-12ft max wave faces... You need huge sandbars and huge deep spots on the shoreline for any beach break to peak up and get 20ft plus.... You have to have a setup like Blacks or OBX with a huge deep channel right offshore that funnels the energy up....

Point being, it will probably be a sloppy, giant mess, but this 20-30 foot waves are just not gonna happen. Not there... Maybe up in Rhode Island or something on a giant reef.... but not down in either OC.....[/QUOTE]

Agreed,Nicely stated.

Images
    First this
    Quote Originally Posted by cobtaco223 View Post
    Gonna be honest. I started surfing a little less than 2 years ago. I started out on a foam board. when i bought my first board, i was still in the very experimental stage of surfing. I didnt really know what i was doing. I surfed a 6'8 NSP for about a year, surfed a hurricane in it and stuff. But this past summer i bought a longboard. Best decision ive made.
    now this
    Quote Originally Posted by cobtaco223 View Post
    I'm going out whether or not OCMD gets evacuated.
    Shut up already and just surf......

edit: favorite SERIES of quotes thus far from nj surfer:

1. earthquakes are unnatural
    2. the ground just isn't supposed to move that way
    3. you need to study geology more
    Last edited by joenottoast; Aug 25, 2011 at 04:36 AM.

OC Evac

I can tell you that if it comes down to it the town will make everyone that doesn't live here leave even residents if its a level 4 evac. If you didn't know its already in the works, Right now were at a level one alert pretty much means get stuff ready and move your boats, lawn stuff ect. If it hits a level 3 see ya! Residents only. Knowing how this town floods and seeing what the storm surge is going to do I think we have a pretty good chance of seeing a level 3 evac order.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    .... So, although it doesnt happen much, the potential for disaster on the east coast is huge.... Not ONE of your buildings, bridges or ANY structure has earthquake proofing or the proper engineering....
    Thats not entirely true. I know that on the bridge end of things, since the '50s in VA there have been Seismic minimum requirements. Although the requirements are nothing of that in Cali, they are and have been there and are considered in design. I have spent the past 36 hours traveling the state on emergency inspections of many of the larger structures in the state that were constructed on the upper boundary limits of those structural requirments and found nothing. You should feel happy to know that VA has a list that they keep for all kinds of weather scenarios of structures that might be prone to failure because of X kind of weather. PA does also. MD, DE, MA, NJ, and NY, not so much.

Also to add to the list, locally we have a wild fire burning in the Great Dismal Swamp. Been burning for a few weeks now, and hopefully this Hurricane will finally put it out.
    Last edited by Jeep_Builder; Aug 25, 2011 at 02:11 PM.