LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Evacuations-Bridge shut downs

    Just wanted to start a thread for those of us trying to get there as Irene approaches. I got shafted during Earl last year as I could not get accross to the island because of bridge shut downs. I dont know anyone who surfs Ocracoke, and I know this is the SE surf forum, but they are already evacuating the island. Havent heard of any plans furthur south.

  2. #2
    There is no bridge to Ocracoke, ferry only. Good chance the ferry will be shutdown. Unless you are a resident already there, you won't get on. You'll have to swim or charter a boat.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    illmington
    Posts
    165
    thanks for starting this thread!

    to all the people coming down for the so called swell: stay inland! hundreds of sharks and will be patrolling the NC shores this weekend with all the warm, tropical water coming up. even going in ankle deep water is dangerous. i saw a big ass shark while i was surfing today. i would say go to myrtle beach, very safe there

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    thanks for starting this thread!

    to all the people coming down for the so called swell: stay inland! hundreds of sharks and will be patrolling the NC shores this weekend with all the warm, tropical water coming up. even going in ankle deep water is dangerous. i saw a big ass shark while i was surfing today. i would say go to myrtle beach, very safe there
    hahahahahahhahahahah

  5. #5
    that's no bs. there were tons of spanish jumping all over the place today, and a couple of good size (3-5ft) were tearing them up. That being said, go north, I hear jersey is nice this time of year.

    Most places further south will shut down bridges once the wind gets up to tropical depression/storm strength. Don't forget your passes to get back on the island
    Last edited by whitewater; Aug 25, 2011 at 04:52 AM.

  6. #6
    anyone know if I'll be able to surf anywhere in the charleston area saturday?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Promontorium Tremendum
    Posts
    905
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by rlghdude View Post
    Just wanted to start a thread for those of us trying to get there as Irene approaches. I got shafted during Earl last year as I could not get accross to the island because of bridge shut downs. I dont know anyone who surfs Ocracoke, and I know this is the SE surf forum, but they are already evacuating the island. Havent heard of any plans furthur south.
    just remember, evacuation is a sign of weakness...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Carolina Beach, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    just remember, evacuation is a sign of weakness...
    what an unintelligent comment

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    thanks for starting this thread!

    to all the people coming down for the so called swell: stay inland! hundreds of sharks and will be patrolling the NC shores this weekend with all the warm, tropical water coming up. even going in ankle deep water is dangerous. i saw a big ass shark while i was surfing today. i would say go to myrtle beach, very safe there

    Gosh, I was wondering why myrtle beach was so crowded! Now now headhigh, you know that everyone listens to your advice and takes you seriously. Im so glad the surfing community can be graced with your infinite wisdom. Guardian, protector of the seas.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    illmington
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by rlghdude View Post
    headhigh, you know that everyone listens to your advice and takes you seriously. Im so glad the surfing community can be graced with your infinite wisdom. Guardian, protector of the seas.
    thanks! usually all my worldly insight goes un-recognized, but not today. may the surf gods smile upon you, my child.