LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Smile Years Surfing + Top Two spots

I always have to smile when I hear thread posters commenting on how long they've been surfing and where they've found "awesome" waves, so let's just put it out there for everyone to see. Post yours here:

When did you start surfing and how many years have you been surfing regularly?
    1. Started surfing in 1964 on a Royal Hawaiian pop-out by Dextra from Turco's Sport Center (WldWood) @ 14 in Cape May, then moved to OCM in '66, so I've been surfing for 46 years now. I lived through the short board revolution surfing on Weber Performers, Feather's, Mini-Feathers, Ski's, Vee-Bottoms, and Strato Series with Spyder Wright's surf team with Gary Ferguson, Dave Hartman and "Skill" Johnson.

What are your top two favorite waves to surf and where would you really like to
    Surf that you haven't?
    2. All time favorite wave is La Libertad, El Salvador, and Lowers @ Trestles in CA comes in a close second. Haven't made it to HI yet, but I hope to before it's all over.

This was from '74 (after 8 years of surfing) when I drove to La Libertad, El Salvador where Bob Rotterdam (Roberto) was starting to build his resort, Punta Rocas. Smoothies at Tienda Gloria were our sustenance, but I suspect they were being made with water from what we affectionately called "The Polio River," that created the point break beside it.

Last edited by MDSurfer; Aug 23, 2011 at 11:58 AM.

Images
    Started Surfing in 1987 in Cape May & Wildwood been surfin for about 20 years

Two places I have surf and would like???

1. Rincon Santa barbara California.

2.montauk ny

Started surfing in 2004 while living on Chincoteague Island, VA
    (Assateague Island National Seashore)

Favorites and Wish List?

1. Point Judith, RI / Cerritos, Baja Sur

2. Mundaka, Spain

15 years...started late at around 20 years old while living in central PA of all places.

I haven't done too much travelling, but two of my best sessions were in Costa Rica.

1. Boca Baranca on the first day of a new swell. My friend and I, 3 guys from FL, and two guys from CA and that was it. Longest rides I've ever had. We showed up the next day at sunrise hoping for a repeat and there were like 100 people already there. I have no Pics

2. A toss up between a remote left point we found and surfed with no others except our large group, or a day we got lucky at Little Hawaii and surfed with our crew and just two others.

I've also had some fabulous sessions in good old NJ.

Wave I would like to surf? May sound weak, but Trestles without a crowd. Wave just looks so fun.

i started surfing in 1990 in my hometown of ocnj at the age of 9. so i guess it's 20 years now...jeeze, time flies!

i'm hard pressed to pick an all-time favorite, but the places that come up when i think of places i've been that i want to go back to are these:

1) chicken's, north male atolls, maldives. a really fun, rippable left reef pass. surfed it for the first time this august...so, so fun!

2)emily's, morro negrito surf camp, panama. it's just a fun, playful left coral/cobble stone pointbreak.

of course, i've had absolutely mind-blowing session at home, in hatteras, costa rica, & in california. in fact, if i were going to relocate, it would be to either northern san diego county, so i could make black's my home break, or to santa barbara or ventura counties, where i've heard it's somewhat less crowded.
    after missing 4 straight hurricane seasons while in college, however, i swore that i'd never miss another. that no matter what, i'd be home (in nj) for the fall. i've kept that promise for the last 7 years. there's really no where else i want to be at this time of year.

my "spots to hit" list is rather lengthy:

1) pavones. been to costa 3x & never made it that far south
    2) j-bay. i don't care that it's a right! i want to surf that wave!
    3) peru. i had the opportunity to go in 2008, but i had to back out b/c the engine fell out of my car.
    4) france. hossegor just seems so sick!
    5) new zealand. land of the long left pointbreak. what goofy footer doesn't want to go there?
    6)indo. 'nuff said.
    Last edited by njsurfer42; Oct 12, 2010 at 01:40 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i started surfing in 1990 in my hometown of ocnj at the age of 9. so i guess it's 20 years now...jeeze, time flies!

i'm hard pressed to pick an all-time favorite, but the places that come up when i think of places i've been that i want to go back to are these:

1) chicken's, north male atolls, maldives. a really fun, rippable left reef pass. surfed it for the first time this august...so, so fun!

2)emily's, morro negrito surf camp, panama. it's just a fun, playful left coral/cobble stone pointbreak.

of course, i've had absolutely mind-blowing session at home, in hatteras, costa rica, & in california. in fact, if i were going to relocate, it would be to either northern san diego county, so i could make black's my home break, or to santa barbara or ventura counties, where i've heard it's somewhat less crowded.
    after missing 4 straight hurricane seasons while in college, however, i swore that i'd never miss another. that no matter what, i'd be home (in nj) for the fall. i've kept that promise for the last 7 years. there's really no where else i want to be at this time of year.

my "spots to hit" list is rather lengthy:

1) pavones. been to costa 3x & never made it that far south
    2) j-bay. i don't care that it's a right! i want to surf that wave!
    3) peru. i had the opportunity to go in 2008, but i had to back out b/c the engine fell out of my car.
    4) france. hossegor just seems so sick!
    5) new zealand. land of the long left pointbreak. what goofy footer doesn't want to go there?
    6)indo. 'nuff said.
    I have to agree there is no place better to be this time of year is NJ. I surfed for the past 3 days and it was probally some of the best sessions I have had in awhile . Not the biggest but it was clean chest to shoulder high waves with 4 ppl out that I know . Dont get any better than that in my book

Images
    Started surfing in OC MD in the mid 1990s. I was a summer time benny though. Lived 2 hours inland. surfed on and off through college and in the summers. The day I graduated from Towson (after thinking about nothing but surf for 4 years), i packed my bags for the west coast and have surfed everyday since 2001.

best two spots:

1) Blacks
    2) Lowers (#2, cause blacks has more barrels)
    2.5) Calafia, Mexico....
    3) 48th st, OC MD BABY!

Places I MUST surf at some point:

1) Anywhere in Indo. I am a goofy footer and cannot wait to visit the land of the lefts....
    2) That long as$ left down in Costa... Never been.

P.S.
    here is a photo of me surfing one of my favorite spots in the world, right here in the US. I have posted this pic earlier this year when it was taken and a few guys PMed me and know exactly where it is, but this is definately up there with lowers and blacks... but it much more fickle, which is why its not on my list.... It would be an injustice if I named the spot, seeing is how you can see that I am basically alone out there...
    Last edited by zach619; Oct 12, 2010 at 02:59 AM.

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    2) That long as$ left down in Costa... Never been.
    sick picture and i think that left is pavones. ive wanted to ride that wave the second my buddy told me about it

1) i started surfing in september of '07 i think. didnt know what i was doing, ended up buying a board that just was a little less buoyant than probably recommended. made the learning curve so steep, but i charged every and any waves i could throughout the fall and late spring. then that summer i bought winter gear to surf all year round and havent looked back.

charging those hurricane swells was a rush and even though i pretty much wiped out everytime, it was awesome experience for me. it probably helped that i was an expert swimmer too

2) havent been to many places so its a dumb list, but
    a) s-turns in obx was insane during some swell 2 years back in december
    b) cape may was a ton of fun

hoping to expand this to central america /cali sometime soon

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    I always have to smile when I hear thread posters commenting on how long they've been surfing and where they've found "awesome" waves, so let's just put it out there for everyone to see. Post yours here:

When did you start surfing and how many years have you been surfing regularly?

What are your top two favorite waves to surf and where would you really like to surf that you haven't?
    1. Started in 1979 in OCMD when I was a summer waiter at the Embers restaurant. & Cape Hatteras back when the lighthouse was in the old spot. Temporary insanity took over in 1981: I shelved surfing for pro ball. Got back in the ocean on a regular basis in 2004. (wtf was I thinking all those years out of the water....)
    Still have my very first board, a 1974 Bing, & my 1979 Sunshine House 6'8 shaped by Claude Codgen.

2. I love the breaks (& the food) in Barbados. True confession: I also have a great time surfn with friends at Assateague & VB & that's what it's about to me at this point in life. Would like to surf Ecuador & northeastern Brasil.

Cool post, am enjoying reading what you guys are putting up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pvjumper05 View Post
    sick picture and i think that left is pavones. ive wanted to ride that wave the second my buddy told me about it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce6Rd...eature=related