LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will my wetsuit be too tight??

I have been gaining a lot of weight lately and my winter wetsuit is starting to get a little too tight. It is a 5/4 xcel x-zip2.. MT. I am currently 190lbs and it is only rated to 185lbs. It is a little tight now but bearable. I am still trying to gain another 10 to 20 pounds before i max out. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. And if you have grown out of your wetsuit, about how many lbs over the wetsuits reccomended weight limit were you before it became unbareable. I am willing to deal with a little uncomfort to avoid the cost of a new wetsuit, but if it gets to the point where its choking me out then I don't know what I'm gonna do. Any recomendations or helpful stories??? I really don't wanna push out anymore money for wetsuits!!!!!

Images
    Why are you trying to gain weight? My goal is always to go in the other direction and I surf way better the lighter I am. If you gain the extra 10 - 20 lbs say goodbye to comfort. I have a friend who insists that his old suit still fits and he looks like a blackberry in it.

why is there a wetsuit thread at the end of august in the heart of hurricane season???? but to answer your question there is no way that thing is gonna fit you if you put on another 10 or 20 pounds. im around 185 to 190 and i wear a large or a large tall. if i were up by 200 id be rocking an XL

i agree w/ zippy...i've always surfed better at a lighter weight. that said, i'm a big guy, 6'1" & 190lbs, & i wear a large. i could prob. go w/ a LT, but they're a bit hard to find & the larges fit me fine. when i was in college & running competitively, i was 40lbs lighter & wore a MT. i'd be shocked if you gain another 10-20lbs & can still get into that suit.

Images
    Njsurfer you are almost exactly my size 6'1" 190 lbs at best 195 lbs now after a summer of bad habits (on my way back down though). Just got 2 new excel suits and got the LT. The 3/2 fits like a second skin haven't tried on the 5/4 yet. I would stay away from bulking up if you want to surf well. I was at 205 + last year and I was tired, slow and surfing like crap. I surf better now than ever in my 30 years on the water and being in shape without the extra weight is a huge part of it.

i'm not trying to bulk up. the OP is. i'm hoping to get down to 185ish in the near future.

Zippy & NJSurfer are right on the mark. If you're bulking up, surfing is going to suffer far beyond the wetsuit. Not only that, but once you gain that kind of mass, it gets hard to lose it all. I bulked up from 195 to 225 between the ages of 36 & 39. I'm now 42 and struggling like hell to get back below 200 so I can surf small waves with less than log. Between slinging heavier arms, balancing additional weight and the tightness of your old suit, your sessions will be much shorter and in a lot of cases, very frustrating. You may be able to fit in the suit for 10 to 15 lbs above the recommended weight, but it will definately work against you. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Bulking up is so 2004. Get with the times bro. Thin is in!

Well with any luck it is all going to be muscle.. Does that make any difference?? In the last year I've went from 160lbs to 190lbs and have been a 32 waist the entire time.. If anything I am more fit now then i was then.. Does it make any difference if it is almost all muscle that i am putting on??

Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    Well with any luck it is all going to be muscle.. Does that make any difference?? In the last year I've went from 160lbs to 190lbs and have been a 32 waist the entire time.. If anything I am more fit now then i was then.. Does it make any difference if it is almost all muscle that i am putting on??
    what, are you doing 'roids? I'm no physical trainer, but jumping up 30 lbs in a year seems a little severe, slow down, man...that's not going to make you a better surfer. just my 2 cents, don't take offense...just seems crazy to me.