LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

assateague island.

anyone surf there during or after irene? i know they had it closed. any changes to the sandbars afterwards . oc was fun on sunday just curious?

Images
    I was dropped off thursday with my hiking gear and didn't walk off the island until tuesday. Just as i walked across the va line i found a abandon old house and set up camp there. Saturday night was pretty scary but sunday early morning i was standing up in barrels. I brought 2 camcorders and am making a documentary of it.

sounds pretty wild, so you had the whole place to yourself. keep us posted on your project.

Images
    I was just playing haha it sounds like a good idea though.

That would be amazing. Survivorman + natural disaster + barrels. I'd watch it.

Images
    I surf there as much as possible and will be hitting it up on Sat. AM - down on the OSV zone. Should be good with light winds... I'll keep ya posted jimmycrab.

So where do you surf on assateague? Have you surfed it after posting here?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marknel83 View Post
    I was just playing haha it sounds like a good idea though.
    I was about to call BS haha! Thats a sick doc idea though, get on it

I surfed there on Friday. The National Seashore had posted on their website they were going to close the park at 7. Around 4 pm waves started lining up and peeling, not huge, but solid head high with push and no wind. At 4:30 rangers started blowing their sirens. I was one of the last out of the water around 4:45 and my last three rides were my 3 best waves of the sesh. I'll be there in the AM to check things out tomorrow. I wrote a long and courteous email to the Park Superintendant about the early closure... oddly enough, I haven't heard back from her.

Quote Originally Posted by johhnyutah View Post
    I surfed there on Friday. The National Seashore had posted on their website they were going to close the park at 7. Around 4 pm waves started lining up and peeling, not huge, but solid head high with push and no wind. At 4:30 rangers started blowing their sirens. I was one of the last out of the water around 4:45 and my last three rides were my 3 best waves of the sesh. I'll be there in the AM to check things out tomorrow. I wrote a long and courteous email to the Park Superintendant about the early closure... oddly enough, I haven't heard back from her.
    I was there and got kicked out too! I was the guy getting harassed by the 21 yr old ranger with the beard who kept putting his hand on his gun and asking "what don't you understand about what I'm telling you, we are closing at 5 not 7." What is the superintendents name and email address? I will gladly write and polite yet insightful email. It was just starting to get REALLY fun too. Sunday in OC was epic, especially now that the sandbars are back. I posted one pick of a barrel sequence of my brother and can post more. All week, every morning in OC has been fun and clean up until today (which was fun, just not clean).

The Monday closure was particularly irksome.

When I spoke with the ranger he said very little had changed - including the sandbars. Not sure if he's a surfer or not tho.