LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 96
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    Preventing a law suit is a bad idea?...All the cop haters are a bunch of clowns and have zero thought process.
    i never said anything like that. i was suggesting that those who fail to exercise their common sense & doing something stupid & get into trouble should be on their own...the various towns should be in no way liable. do people sue aspen or park city if someone ducks under the rope while skiing or snowboarding there & gets hurt or killed? no, they don't...b/c they know it's on them if they do something dumb! the same should be true w/ the ocean. the LAWSUITS themselves are a bad idea. you have no reasonable expectation to exit the water alive if you choose to enter it or be around it in stormy conditions.
    as for the cop hating, re-read my post. my cousin is a state trooper & i have no issue w/ the police in general...they serve a vital role in our communities. however, their role has expanded too far, i feel. they are increasingly used by the gov't as a jackboot instead of a protective force.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,329
    Images
    23
    I am sure if they were at a ski resort, the ski patrol would infact blame them for not paying attention to the fenced in areas. Also, the coast line is much more populated than the rocky mountains. Having the police keep people out of the water is protecting the people from danger, whether they believe it or not. Reguardless of your vast amount of experience in the water, you can still drown. Look at all the pro surfers who have died surfing...and they're pro! Also, that's the way the government agencies run, always have and always will, so it's not like it's a new thing that the police departments want to cover their own and their county governments ass.

    Just think of it as if you owned your own surfboard instructor company. You warned your students not to go out beyond so many yards, yet they do to be all big bad a tough and you get the life guards to bring them in. Why did you get the life guards to bring them in? Because you don't want to be reliable. Government is a business just like everything else.

  3. #33
    The problem ain't the cops. It's the political animal in America. Not gonna give a big speech here cuz no one gives a crap but this is what happens when we let our beliefs erode our freedoms. Government feels that their job is to protect us thus we are incapable of making our own decisions. This is a symptom! Not that long ago if you wanted to surf in very dangerous conditions you were free to make that decision. Now the gov't feels they know better than we do so they make the decision for us cuz they know whats best. Police the politicians!!!!! Vote the pricks out that need to go!!

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty517 View Post
    The problem ain't the cops. It's the political animal in America. Not gonna give a big speech here cuz no one gives a crap but this is what happens when we let our beliefs erode our freedoms. Government feels that their job is to protect us thus we are incapable of making our own decisions. This is a symptom! Not that long ago if you wanted to surf in very dangerous conditions you were free to make that decision. Now the gov't feels they know better than we do so they make the decision for us cuz they know whats best. Police the politicians!!!!! Vote the pricks out that need to go!!
    Our government is run by cowards that hide behind their political positions and money. They're a bunch of over protective p^ssys.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    I am sure if they were at a ski resort, the ski patrol would infact blame them for not paying attention to the fenced in areas. Also, the coast line is much more populated than the rocky mountains. Having the police keep people out of the water is protecting the people from danger, whether they believe it or not. Reguardless of your vast amount of experience in the water, you can still drown. Look at all the pro surfers who have died surfing...and they're pro! Also, that's the way the government agencies run, always have and always will, so it's not like it's a new thing that the police departments want to cover their own and their county governments ass.

    Just think of it as if you owned your own surfboard instructor company. You warned your students not to go out beyond so many yards, yet they do to be all big bad a tough and you get the life guards to bring them in. Why did you get the life guards to bring them in? Because you don't want to be reliable. Government is a business just like everything else.
    who's to say what's "too dangerous"? too dangerous for me & too dangerous for shane dorian are vastly different sets of conditions. but i am AWARE of those limitations. & i am also aware that, w/ the amount of time in & on the water & knowledge/experience that i've accumulated in over 20 years surfing, there isn't a whole lot that the atlantic ocean can throw at me in south jersey that i can't handle unless something goes seriously wrong. & that outside possibility is a risk i accept each & every time i enter the ocean. look at what happened to GoodVibes last month...knee high day & he broke a couple ribs. how many people got injured on sunday? no one that i know of. small surf is WAY more dangerous than overhead+ surf...people who have any business being out in those sort of conditions know their limits & respect them. it's not fair, but if the police/lifeguards are going to do anything in situations like that, it should be to keep the inexperienced/unprepared folks out & allow the experienced folks go. the guys in the video are sponsored, professional surfers. they had every right & ability to be out in those conditions. now if it were some goober w/ a bic, then yea...the cops/lifeguards should keep them out.
    it's a slippery slope & before you know it, chest high days will be considered "too dangerous" to allow people in the water...wait & see.

  6. #36
    should have taken bets on how quickly this would turn into a political debate

  7. **** the cops? They're just doin their jobs man.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,329
    Images
    23
    ha they have always closed beaches for hurricane surf. you're acting like all the sudden some in the town was like..."man those waves look kinda of big, I think we should close the beaches for the very first time to prevent any injuries or death to our locals or vacationers..what a great idea!" And the "what if" situations will always out weigh anything cause they're always going to be safer than sorry.

    Also, the police don't have a skill-o-meter than can rate everyone's ability, that's why they apply the restrictions to everyone. They can just wait for the winter when they are "allowed" to surf just as big or bigger waves, or like what was said before, go somewhere else.
    Last edited by super fish; Sep 3, 2011 at 05:32 PM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wilmington,DE
    Posts
    215
    Images
    1
    Police doing their jobs? Look at the statistics on how many crimes police actually solve....

    http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/arrests/index.html

    http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/index.html

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,329
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewk529 View Post
    Police doing their jobs? Look at the statistics on how many crimes police actually solve....

    http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/arrests/index.html

    http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/index.html
    Can you point out the ratio of solved to unsolved? Also, have you ever tried to solve a crime? I am pretty sure you can ask oceantrooper on how easy it is.