LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. What makes a kook a kook?

I'm just wondering what everyones self opinionated definition of a "kook" is! Cause I hear all the time people throwing it out for strange various reasons! My definition of Kook is someone who poses as a surfer or skater.. someone who doesn't let their abilities do the talking! Almost everyone was once a kook in their lives.. and I bet someone will call me a Kook for making this post but I think this needs to be said so we can re-establish the characteristics of this word!
    Last edited by A.E.Z. (Surf & Sponge); Sep 5, 2011 at 01:51 AM.

Images
    to me a kook is someone rides a foam board with ralph lauren swim trunks on and has no idea what they are doing out in the lineup. that's just my personal experience hahaha. Now if you are seriously trying to learn and are being respectful, then, I don't have a problem with ya at all.

posting this

Not necessarily a beginner but someone who shows little respect for the others in the lineup. In the case of beginners, it is often because they don't know any better. The definition of kook can also entail those who portray their skills to be better then they actually are and engage in unqualified bragging outside of the water when no one is watching.

There are many avenues that can qualify a person as a kook. My daily definition comes from my surf session yesterday. So I was having a good time, minding my own business, and being respectful in the lineup like always and then a KOOK ruined my session. The guy was thinking he was billy badass - but he really wasn't - paying no mind to any of the other 10 people out there and (almost) catching every single wave that came by (and there really wasn't many waves to be had). I had to quit paddling for many waves because I know and obey the rules of surfing and didn't want to drop in on him. Although, as soon as I paddle for any wave, this a**hole drops in on me. After this happened multiple times I called him a \"F'n KOOK\" and rode one more and found an empty sandbar. I would consider this guy more of a kook because of his inconsiderate behavior in the lineup then the obvious beginner that was out there, who at least got out of your way when he saw you up and riding.

If you grew up surfing Cocoa Beach it was anyone from Orlando. Riding a Ron-Jon Surfboard made you half a kook.

Quote Originally Posted by 757surfer View Post
    to me a kook is someone rides a foam board with ralph lauren swim trunks on and has no idea what they are doing out in the lineup. that's just my personal experience hahaha. Now if you are seriously trying to learn and are being respectful, then, I don't have a problem with ya at all.
    I gotta say man. I bought my wife an 8' foam hybrid board and I love that damn thing. I have a standard round nose long baord but this thing is fairly maneuverable. I will paddle into a waist high mushy one and perch on the nose while im flying past all those dudes pumping their ass off (and dropping in on me = kook) so they can get a 4 second ride on their 5'11" that they bought because someone told them they have to 'shred' if they want to be a surfer. I yell at people who are about to drop in on me after I've already set my line. If you dont teach them they will NEVER learn.

Quote Originally Posted by rlghdude View Post
    I gotta say man. I bought my wife an 8' foam hybrid board and I love that damn thing. I have a standard round nose long baord but this thing is fairly maneuverable. I will paddle into a waist high mushy one and perch on the nose while im flying past all those dudes pumping their ass off (and dropping in on me = kook) so they can get a 4 second ride on their 5'11" that they bought because someone told them they have to 'shred' if they want to be a surfer. I yell at people who are about to drop in on me after I've already set my line. If you dont teach them they will NEVER learn.
    Yea I still have an 8'4 Peter Pan foam board that I got when I first started 8 years ago. Although I have moved on to many other boards and have even started to shape my own, I still take that thing out when the conditions are right. Its not what you ride its how you ride... aka repecting others out there.

Images
    I respect ya for that man. I was talking about the tourists and people who don't give a ****. Props to ya if you can outride anybody with the equipment you have. I have a 7'6 funboard i love to death when the surf is small. it rides like a champ. people clear out of the way when they see me comin down the line on that thing haha
    Quote Originally Posted by rlghdude View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 757surfer View Post
    I respect ya for that man. I was talking about the tourists and people who don't give a ****. Props to ya if you can outride anybody with the equipment you have. I have a 7'6 funboard i love to death when the surf is small. it rides like a champ. people clear out of the way when they see me comin down the line on that thing haha
    True that brotha. It pisses me off too. I can handle it as long as it doesnt get good. Ill just go back and drink some beers. If it gets good thats another story.