LOGIN | REGISTER

Hybrid View

Mid Atlantic Alaia

So I've been surfing for about 8 years now and shaping boards the past year (5 total) and I'm staring to explore new options. I'm certainly not opinionated either way when it comes to board choice i just love being on the water. I love shredding a shortboard on nice chest high and up days and love cruising on my longboards on the smooth knee to waist high days. I'm contemplating building and alaia board and wanted some peoples thoughts if its worth it. I've heard theyre a ton of fun on real long chest high breaks but would it be rideable on our east coast waist high slop? enough power in the waves? etc... thanks for any thoughts

REALLY? nobody?

hey, i've finished one recently, outa a paulownia tree me and my bud chopped down over a year ago. Havn't had much of a chance to try it much. hard to get myself to do it when i know other things are super fun. This weekend i'm headin down nc for a week and i plan to commit myself to it then. So far, i gotta say, it's damn tough. it sits so low in the water, you sit out there up to your neck. paddling feels like you're stuck in the mud till you really get moving. so if you want easy, go big. Mine's 6'6". Was gonna do 7-7'6" but knots in the wood and whatnot convinced me to cut it back. The biggest reason i did it was because i'm sick and tired of working with glass. It's just disgusting. So i hope i can make it work, and maybe it could even last me many years. time will tell. If you're really curious i'll try and remember to get back to you after my little vacay

I have a 3 foot diameter Paulownia tree in my yard right now.... I was thinking solid wood surfboard and an Alaia....
    Trying to find someone to mill the wood for me.

Don't listen to Ron. He's a goober!

Actually he's one of my best friends. There is a fella in Wrightsville who shapes alaias and paipos, the name escapes me now, and he swears by them. Sounds like a fun project.

An alaia is a board for a special and rare day around here. I wonder if thickening and widening it (as opposed to Tom Wegener's narrow and thin boards) would help or if that would kill the alaia-ness of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ron4pres View Post
    I have a 3 foot diameter Paulownia tree in my yard right now.... I was thinking solid wood surfboard and an Alaia....
    Trying to find someone to mill the wood for me.
    any local saw mills around you should do it. just cut it down to workable pieces on a band saw, throw it on sticks for a couple months, i did a year to be safe considering humidity around here. And make sure you have a good amount of weight on top (cinderblocks what not) typical air cure stuff, nothin new here. i did 6x2's. try to go straight and you'll get a good amount of wood to work with once you do get it milled. cost me 45 bucks to get 7 6"x2"x9' boards done came out over 1 3/4" thick, not bad. plenty to play with

Can someone please I guess type how you say it? Is it A-Lie or A-Laya? Not good with the Hawaiin Pronunciations

Shape it

My .02: If you enjoy shaping and riding your shapes, go for it. Swells will come and when they do, you will have the Alaia ready and waiting!
    If you feel so inclined, bring it to AI so some of us can try it out too...