LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nc 12

I have a 1961 US Dept. of the Interior pamphlet on the national seashore. To quote 'by an act of congress August 17, 1937, authorized this national seashore area and excluded eight villages from the federal area and left sizable expansion room around each to permit their independent growth as tourist centers.'

Quote Originally Posted by goosemagoo View Post
    since i'm curious, let me google that for you.

might be a while

pic is from this gallery. with all due respect to those who lost all...wow, check out the surf in the original versions

Updates & visitor ferry info here:

http://twitter.com/#!/ncdot_nc12

http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/nc12recovery/

Those pictures are crazy as hell...

Sobering assessment Glassjaw. Unfortunately, if you utilize these and the fact that the OBX are migrating islands as evidence for limited residencial development, you are labeled some greenwing liberal nutjob who is antijobs and antiamerica. Often those accusations come from these "locals" who set up their monstrosity of a house on the oceanside instead of doing what the real locals do on the protected soundside.

the ash wednesday storm was an ocean event from a nor'easter. nags head/kdh/kitty hawk took the brunt of it.

the hurricane irene flooding was a wind driven sound water event. there was very little damage to buildings from the wind. some of the old timers in the tri-villages were the worst hit as they haven't seen flooding like this since the 1940's and were living in older houses built low to the ground.

that NC 12 recovery site is pretty cool. I like the before/after scroll/wipe pictures.

Does anyone know if they plan to fill the Pea Island "breach" (new inlet)? I know that temporarily there will be a bridge, but just wondering what the long term plan is.

Nevermind...

Just clicked through to some more pics of them filling it in. Wonder how that'll hold under Katia swell? (they may get to redo some work)
    Last edited by CaptJAQ; Sep 7, 2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: can't type

I do have historic bloodlines going back about 350 years. They even named a city after my family. You are right about where the money comes from, and they don't care how much devastation happens as long as the profits keep rolling in and they can hang out for a week or so every summer. I OCMD is so much nicer, you should check the surf there.

Images
    I would like to live in frisco someday.

Why go?

If your hell bent on getting there you could take a ferry from Southport or Cedar Island to Ocracoke and then Hatteras. But if your not a resident, a home owner or a volunteer there's not much reason to tie up avenues of transportation for those or are.

you can go to ocracoke but only residents and then out of town property owners will be allowed back in the first wave of people coming from ocracoke to hatteras village.