LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ocean60 View Post
    bye bye sponser there goes his surfing $$$ now he'll have to get a job.
    He was fired. He can collect unemployment now!!!!!
    On the real though, he makes some solid points - No chance in hell that anyone coming into the second half of this years tour will have any shot of winning. So it pretty much turns into a 16 man battle for the world title - Kellys winning anyway so it doesnt really matter

Maybe he was high thats why he coulndnt speak?

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    speaking like that pretty much guaranteed his firing. just like someone said a few posts prior to this, he is a professional. you cant speak like that, especially to your higher-ups and "employer" as a pro. people look up to you as a role model and nobody wants bobby to represent them after a tirade like that. i understand his points, but i dont agree with them. wild cards give new guys a chance, but they have to face much better surfers. the whole point of this is two-fold: 1) a chance to let nobodies show their skills and to have a small chance to move on and become noticed and 2) to give the veteran a large chance to move on to the next round by putting them against a nobody

cmon bobby

Images
    Perhaps there is room for improvement in the rules, but the surfer's got paid $11,000 just for showing up to the NY event. Is there really room to be all that angry at the system?

Bobby is right. the cutoff is to allow younger surfers in the sales demographic of theyre sponsors to gain exposure without having to take the time to qualify. Think of it as a fast track for people like kolohe adino at the expense of the bottom 20. The new half of people have no chance of a world title and are fodder for the top 20 while making the asp and sponsors a ton more money. The quick pro is in NYC b/c its the largest fastest growing sales demographic. They even refer to it as the million dollar contest! Bobby is also correct in that he doesnt work for the asp, he works for his sponsors and surfs asp contests. he is not the only one to feel this way. Bruce left and maybe dane too. The only difference is that they took the cash and walked without a word which is even funnier. I wish bobby had said in a way in which his wording and attitude didnt distract people from the points he was making. Right or wrong its the rules right now so do or not you can still surf and make money, and now that I think of it, it does seem a little like tennis.

seriously, f**k this guy. let him talk all the garbage he wants. people watch/follow the tour to see the best surfing in the world; at least i do. i can care less about sponsors, advertising, the "scene" and all of the other corporate influence that ironically makes the entire tour happen on the scale it does in the first place.

is he complaining about people like balaram being in the contest? i think it's a great thing that he was able to compete (although i'd personally rather see hammer in there). it brings the local community together and gives them a rooting interest in an event that the world is watching.

talk about biting the hand that feeds you...jeeze!

i agree w/ mOtion732...the guy's an idiot, regardless of his surfing ability. does he have a point to his tirade, though? yea, kinda. unfortunately, whatever point may have been buried in that rambling, disconnected rant is going to be lost beneath the rubble of HOW he said it. the guy had just won his heat & was asked about that...how was his response in any way related to the question he was asked? shouldn't he be happy? as i said to someone this afternoon while talking about this, if someone wanted to pay me thousands of $$$ to surf, i'd be all over it, even if they wanted me to surf in a rainbow clown wig & day-glo wetsuit! my only questions would be, "where's the wig?" & "do you have my size wetsuit?" Martinez doesn't seem to understand how good he has it...
    personally, i think the ASP should go back to the old trials system that they used at the end of 80's & into the early 90's, pre-WCT/WQS...the one that allowed Curren to surf his way through the trials of every event & still win the 1990 world title.
    i just don't understand how Martinez doesn't get the concept of marketing oneself...of presenting an "image". he's a professional surfer at a contest...he's on the job! whatever his private views on the one world ranking system is should be kept to himself. then again, his new sponsor is also involved in MMA, so maybe he's trying to portray the thug/tough guy image for FTW...

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    then again, his new sponsor is also involved in MMA, so maybe he's trying to portray the thug/tough guy image for FTW...
    slim chance but the whole thing could have been premeditated to promote this FTW crap. they have a guy on the world stage come up and go against 'the man' in dramatic fashion - what better advertising?

everyone knew he was probably going to give up surfing the tour anyway, so, why not 'sell' his exit?

yeah, it's a bit of a stretch.. ha

What a ****.

Sure say it to your boys behind the scene, but for the world too see?

You just f**ked yourself.

Wildcards are great for the local scene, so show some respect for the locals you as*hole.

OK, so he dropped the f-bomb. Other then that, what is the problem? It is his choice. He has freewill, just as everyone does.

If the latest and greatest thing to have was poop in a bag, I dare say most of the people in this country would stand in line to get theirs if they had to.

Point is,...stop being so weak. Think for yourself. Life is short. Stop being afraid about stuff that means next to nothing in the grand scheme of things. So many weak and scared people walking this earth. Many of your reading this post......

Bobby is not the only top tour pro saying the same thing,... ASP was scared to death when King Kelly suggested a REAL PRO TOUR. Hell yes it is great to move the young rippers up in the ranks more quickly, but the way they are doing is not as popular as it is made out to be.

"The only way to fix it is to flush it all away. Any ****ing time. Any ****ing day. Learn to swim,.... Fret for your figure and Fret for your latte and Fret for your hairpiece and Fret for your lawsuit and Fret for your prozac and Fret for your pilot and Fret for your contract and Fret for your car. >>>>>>It's a bull**** three ring circus sideshow of freaks....<<<<<<<<<<The only way to fix it is to flush it all away. Any ****ing time. Any ****ing day. Learn to swim,... Some say a comet will fall from the sky. Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves. Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still. >>>>>>>>>>Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip****s.<<<<<<<<<<< Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will cuz I sure could use a vacation from this Silly ****, stupid ****... One great big festering neon distraction, I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim....Learn to swim...... **** all those gun-toting Hip gangster wannabes. Learn to swim. **** retro anything. **** your tattoos. **** all you junkies and **** your short memory. Learn to swim. **** smiley glad-hands With hidden agendas. **** these dysfunctional, Insecure actresses. Learn to swim. Cuz I'm praying for rain and I'm praying for tidal waves I wanna see the ground give way. I wanna watch it all go down. I wanna watch it go right in and down. I wanna watch it go right in. Watch you flush it all away. Time to bring it down again. >>>>>>>>>>>>>Don't just call me pessimist.<<<<<<<<<< Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.

Kind of, sort of,... what Bobby, may be trying to say. You know,...FTW!