LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

How do you balance work, surf, and life?

I have been working 65 to 75 hours a week. I have the house to pay for, new car payment, utilities etc. No kids no gf no wife so thats a plus. But everytime i know the surf is at its best window of opportunity i usually am working watching cars go by with surfboards on top killing me inside haha.

How do you guys do it?
    Last edited by marknel83; Sep 9, 2011 at 01:12 AM.

I make my wife work.

I stopped surfing for a few years to do what you are doing and put myself in the position I'm in today. My work requires a lot of travel, so when I'm home, I can go in later or miss a day or two to catch some swell (comp time). Im 15 minutes from the beach & let's face it, VA barely has a number of even moderate surf days, so I rarely miss anything good.

The Sunday after Irene, today & tomorrow, I'm at the beach at 5:30-6:00am & surf until I'm spent. It takes all of the anxiety out of seeing the loaded surf racks drive by for the rest of the day! Hell...even my wife & 21 month old son will do a weekend DP.

Get a plan that will allow you to live the life you want. You may have to take a hiatus from surfing, but it's worth it. I promise.

I invented the window on an envelope.

Day Light Savings

Not to bum you out.Were all in the same boat but its getting alot darker earlier now.The window is shrinking for everyone.

I work a lot too...skipped that sh!t today though! :P I've been fortunate in many ways in the navy life. Sure, deployments suck balls, but at the same time...people are pretty chill when we're NOT deployed. I stay low-key and work my ass off most of the time. When it gets good...I'm mysteriously absent for a day. We don't get 'sick days', but I'm reliable enough that in my colleagues' eyes I've earned the right to not be hassled. It's a hard line to walk, and I have f@#$ed it up before and been called out. Seven years in the making, I have the system down pretty well. My current job teaching in college is more difficult. It's tough to just 'cancel class'. Administrations look down on that sort of thing, so I could never pull that off. Needless to say, I'll be missing the Katia 'good day' (tomorrow...). I say just do what ya can, and try to forget when you miss it. Beer helps. :P

Try throwing an 8 yr old that wants to go, an ex-wife, and a preggos wife into the mix plus a job that seems you could be laid off tomorrow and a do it yourself home remodel. I usually head out for a DP before work...but haven't been able to make it out for over a month. It hurts but you have to do these things sometimes. I live for the hope that I can skip outta work early tomorrow unnoticed.
    As live aloha said "Beer Helps".

Quote Originally Posted by marknel83 View Post
    I have been working 65 to 75 hours a week. I have the house to pay for, new car payment, utilities etc. No kids no gf no wife so thats a plus. But everytime i know the surf is at its best window of opportunity i usually am working watching cars go by with surfboards on top killing me inside haha.

How do you guys do it?
    i feel ya bro im trying this new thing this year where i dont skip class to surf so yesterday was balls being in class all day know my friends were out surfing having a good time. Work is another story its impossible to get my coworkers to cover my shifts. Last summer I worked for a contractor that surfs so he was lenient with the "work around the swell" deal.

If its any consolation to you though, i live pretty close to the beach and the days that i see the most ppl driving around with boards on racks on top of their car is usually when its small and ****ty like two days after the swell peaked. i expect to see a couple cars on my commute to work today with boards on their roofs. Whenever its pumpin though, the people that are surfing carry their board in their car. So when you're working and see cars driving by with boards on the roof its prob just a few beginners trying to catch some sloppy seconds

Quote Originally Posted by marknel83 View Post

How do you guys do it?

My opinion is there are 3 different types of surfers.

1. You have a job, a family and probably kids, a house, bills, etc... You will surf when you take the fam on vacation, and if it just so happens to be good, then ****ing A! But you will not leave and take any extra days to go track down good surf. You have officialy transitioned from a 'surfer' to a family man (or woman).

2. You probably have a job, and maybe have a wife. You might even have some bills,... etc.. but you do not let any of this deter you. You will go surf when its good. You will take vacation days, sick days, pretty much whatever you got to do to make it happen. You are transitioning from a 'surfer' to a family man (or woman).

3. Dude brah all i gives a ish about is overhead sheet glass. You probably dont have a job, but if you do its seasonal. You would never dream of missing a good swell because your working good god haha. Probably live with random friends and eating whatever they are compassionate enough to feed you. If you are fortuante enough to have a lot of money or whatever the case may be this is the perfect spot for a surfer. You will never need anything else.

Im trying to stay at NO. 2 because I dont have money

Images
    I missed a lot of what time in college at towson. As soon as I was done there, i realized that I may only have a small window of freedom before a lot of responsibility, so my gf, now wife moved where there were waves every day. I got into a job field to accommodate my surfing. Spent almost a decade just obsessed with surfing. At some point, it was negative. I just put it to high on my list of priorities.

Now im married, have a newborn. I only get about 3 days a week that I can surf, so its cool to be by good waves. But what I have come to understand is that there are more important things in life than surfing. My wife really misses her family, and the satisfaction that I once got from surfing is different. My surfing is where ive always hoped it would be and i did my thing. The plan now is to move somewhere back east, maybe in the southeast so my wife can be with family and we can spend more time doing the important stuff...

Even though where her family is in SC is usually small, super fickle etc... I am actually really excited to be somewhere where I will just drop everything when good swell comes, albeit not often..... So the rest of the time, if its usually flat, I will be able to focus on everything else... my family. getting a HOME, finally... just trying to do the american dream thing. Surfing will always be a huge priority in my life, but it can't be the main thing anymore... I will be able to enjoying surfing when i can and not be obsessed by it...

So from the original poster, it depends on where you are in your life. Some guys like to work hard early and enjoy the benefits of their hard work later in life... In my life, I felt like while I was young and the most fit I would every be, and with no children etc, that it was maybe the only time in my life that I could fly by the seat of my pants and just do what I want... I wouldnt change it for a thing.... I think most people, especially surfers will go through a similar time in their lives, regardless of when.... But i have never been more satisfied with where I am in life, and surfing.... But the balance is shifting, just like life.