I missed a lot of what time in college at towson. As soon as I was done there, i realized that I may only have a small window of freedom before a lot of responsibility, so my gf, now wife moved where there were waves every day. I got into a job field to accommodate my surfing. Spent almost a decade just obsessed with surfing. At some point, it was negative. I just put it to high on my list of priorities.

Now im married, have a newborn. I only get about 3 days a week that I can surf, so its cool to be by good waves. But what I have come to understand is that there are more important things in life than surfing. My wife really misses her family, and the satisfaction that I once got from surfing is different. My surfing is where ive always hoped it would be and i did my thing. The plan now is to move somewhere back east, maybe in the southeast so my wife can be with family and we can spend more time doing the important stuff...

Even though where her family is in SC is usually small, super fickle etc... I am actually really excited to be somewhere where I will just drop everything when good swell comes, albeit not often..... So the rest of the time, if its usually flat, I will be able to focus on everything else... my family. getting a HOME, finally... just trying to do the american dream thing. Surfing will always be a huge priority in my life, but it can't be the main thing anymore... I will be able to enjoying surfing when i can and not be obsessed by it...

So from the original poster, it depends on where you are in your life. Some guys like to work hard early and enjoy the benefits of their hard work later in life... In my life, I felt like while I was young and the most fit I would every be, and with no children etc, that it was maybe the only time in my life that I could fly by the seat of my pants and just do what I want... I wouldnt change it for a thing.... I think most people, especially surfers will go through a similar time in their lives, regardless of when.... But i have never been more satisfied with where I am in life, and surfing.... But the balance is shifting, just like life.