LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2 fin classic fish question

I want to know if there are anyone who is familiar with riding a two fin fish that can answer some of my questions?

1.) what is the best way to turn on a fish? i feel like when i turn i sort of stall out or get stuck and it stops turning like it wants to head to the beach. i don't know if i am describing this properly. but what should i do to turn better on a fish?

2.) Is there a ideal place for my back foot on a 2 fin set up? i was thinking maybe my back foot was getting in the way of my turning.

3.) any other advice would be helpful.

I have been surfing for a year and would like to correct these issues and any bad habits i may have.

are they aliens?

you don't ride a traditional fish the same way that you would a typical hpsb. while most hpsb thrusters want to be turned off the back off, a traditional fish likes to be turned (& trimmed) off the front. that's my experience anyway. & the ideal place, i found, for my back foot was either slightly in front of, or directly over, the fins. you'll also want to use the rail more on your turns, rather than trying to pivot off the fin cluster. this will cause your turns to be more drawn out, but they'll also be smoother. you should also loose that stalling sensation.

thank you, i will work on turning the way you described this weekend. much appreciated!

nice,42,i agree 100%.very well done.now i want to ride mine tomorrow!

NJ42 obviously has put in some time on a twin or two...yep. Ya know a twin really is your friend, a true go to board. If your open-minded about a drivey semi-loose board jump on on one. I have almost solely ridden one since 05 and swear by them. What 42 mentioned about foot placement is spot on, really. They like to be surfed right on top of the fins, but whats cool is the sweet spot is just Huge! You can surf just in front or behind the fins and stilll be in control...all these smooth drawn out lines, really spoil you. I like the twin keels best (mine are glass ons) and the Hank Warner Starfish has been my board of choice both in PU and Epoxy. A fairly deep double-concave seems to work best and HW has these things wired! So don't give up on your twin. Ride some different twin shapes with concave variations and you won't want to got back to a thruster anytime soon...promise you that. Long post...just stoked on Twins! EnjoY

Hilly let me know how your weekend goes. I have to work Be safe!

I have to agree with 42 and banx... The only thing I can add is if your fish has a double concave out the back, like a lot of them do these days, you can get away with a more even weight distribution between your front and back foot. The old flat-to-vee fish worked best off the front foot, for sure. But even a lot of the traditional fish... with twin keels and wide, deep swallows... are using concaves today, and I think it's an improvement. I've found that you can initiate your turn from your back foot, then shift your weight forward through the turn to maintain speed and drive all the way around... which is what I think you're having a hard time doing. Shortboards scrub speed off through a turn... twins conserve it.

So check your board. Put a straight edge across the bottom and see what's going on.

the correct term is twin fin not two fin......

and hank warner is a freakn genius to boot,never had one of his twinnies but his thrusters are awesome. can only imagine his fish