LOGIN | REGISTER

Hybrid View

Bouys out so where are the surf forecasts coming from?

With the offshore bouys out of service (44066, 44025, 44065), where is the data for the forecast coming from? Should we still rely on the reports?

Thanks Chris, but unless I read it wrong it appears that buoyweather.com is using NOAA buoys and I thought those are the ones out of service now. Hmmm.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by casasurf View Post
    Thanks Chris, but unless I read it wrong it appears that buoyweather.com is using NOAA buoys and I thought those are the ones out of service now. Hmmm.
    The way i understand surf forecasting, the forecasting sites like Swellinfo, Buoyweather, Surflike, etc. shouldn't really be affected much in the short term by a few buoys that arent reporting.

All forecasting websites use meteorological models to predict wind fields, swell generatation, and swell dispersal and finally wave heights at the beach. Dont get me wrong, its nice to see what the buoys are actually reading to verify the forecast, but I dont think it actually affects the forecast accuracy since the forecasts arent based on what the buoys are reading anyway...much like a weather forecast isnt affected by a couple of thermometers breaking.

Micah can probably explain it properly.

really missing the buoys and from what i can tell there are no plans to fix them any time soon...

Images
    The near shore buoys are only really used as the report data. The "whats happening at the beach right now" data... The forecasting has to rely on data all the way down as far as off shore in africa. Based on those movements, the forecast models are built....

Think of it like this... The buoy that got taken out, that is a few miles off shore, does not give ANY indications of what it will do 7 days out. or 3 days out... or anything... buoys log data every hour or so, as to what it HAS been doing, not what it will be doing....

So, if Micah uses Buoy readings to adjust his actual "report" info.... of when you click on forecast and it tells you how big it is right NOW, that might be affected, but it looks like his coding uses the projections as a whole, rather than then near shore buoys...

I used the near shore buoys to see what the surf is doing right now... the forecasting models are much more complex and require data from extrememly far away sites.... not the ones right by your beach....

The jersey buoys don't start going nuts when there is a hurricane 7 days out... they just act the way they always would... the only swell indications on those are when they start rising and falling as the swells fill in.