LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

hairline/stress lines in glass

I just recently (about a month ago) bought a CI Skinny Fish. While bringing it to the beach one day I noticed these lines on the bottom of the board in between the rail and stringer (not touching either) which I have never seen on any of my previous boards I owned. This was after riding it just a few times. There are a couple of very small dings in the middle of them, which I am not sure how they occurred. Anyway when running your hand over the lines they seems to be no crack in the glass letting water in but I just dont know why they appeared and if it is something I should worry about, have fixed, or can fix myself. I got to admit i never expected this from a Channel Islands board as my other, less expensive boards, never had this problem.

Any thoughts?

I will try to get a picture up later...

Stress cracks in the hotcoat from the board flexing. The glasser probably catalyzed the resin too quick which makes it brittle and crack easily. Channel Islands sends there factory 2nds over here to the East Coast for you to pay big bucks on crappy boards.
    No need to fix the cracks, keep an eye on those dings, they'll start to delaminate over time.
    ~Brian
    www.greenlightsurfsupply.com
    Shape Your Surfing Experience

Thanks for the reply, its a good thing it was $200 off. Its funny I have a canyon fish that has never had an issue and cost $300 less. I guess popouts arent that bad after all.

Images
    from my knowledge ( I do not own a CI board but friends I know do) Channel Island boards are pretty frail and ding easily. My friend had a pod and got hairlines after riding it a few times as well. but, who knows. any new board i get is gonna be hand shaped and local

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Channel Islands sends there factory 2nds over here to the East Coast for you to pay big bucks on crappy boards.
    proof?

i've had a couple CI's over the years (& currently) & never had this issue.

Images
    fix the dings, if you can't feel the cracks you should be okay.
    its just the way CI's are glassed, doesn't mean its a crappy board. they use very little glass in order to maintain a light weight, performance board that flexes well. just be careful with it, other than that its probably great in the water

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    proof?

i've had a couple CI's over the years (& currently) & never had this issue.
    He has no proof...i'm guessing...since he usually posts just about every time CI comes up about how expensive and crappy they are. My guess is that if he had proof that CI is dumping "factory seconds" to the east coast he would have posted that by now, since that woud be useful information, as opposed to just bashing a successful brand.

i had a lot of ci's before they became burton/anacapa/china and the glass was great,from 1979 moonlight to 1999 where the glassing had a decal,and the glassing was most always really good.however,it's always since at least the 70's been considered that cal and hawaii say,'crappy board,send it to jersey,they won't know the difference.'makes sense,we've always been considered the weak sister,so why would cal or hawaii care about us?and someone i know who would know says some al merricks are now from china,too.makes sense,why wouldn't they be?put anacapa and al merricks side by side.put an al merrick decal instead of anacapa and it rides better and costs more.
    too bad merricks were the best for years,and if you order custom you probably still get it shaped by someone decent in cal,and al merrick probably still shapes select boards for tom curren and friends,but here is the reason to find a local shaper.cracks can happen more clearly/visible in a skinny fish because it's not a clear sanded finish board,too.

wrong-skinny fish is heavy glass retro model.and wrong-greenlight just knows overpriced crap when he sees it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    wrong-skinny fish is heavy glass retro model.and wrong-greenlight just knows overpriced crap when he sees it.
    Says right on the CI website that the Skinny Fish has the ultralight glass job like most other CI models. To the OP - you'll know for sure if your board has the "UL" stamp on the bottom usually back near the tail somewhere. I agree with others though, CI has some good designs but the light glassing makes them much less durable. They are definitely not worth their retail price...