LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    I already own a "cheap" board I'm learning on now. The custom is for after I become proffiecient at surfing. I do a lot of researching of every hobby I take up. I wanted to get a Frierson board after so many recommendations for him, plus I wanted to be sure I got it directly from the man himself before he retired from shaping and per chance prices go way up in the future. Also I can tell you it is not $1000 for his custom. HTH
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Over-toe View Post
    indeed i would not see a fab builder on the jobsite with a 5 dollar hammer, however, i would also not expect a brand new fabtech to buy a 150 dollar hammer when he doesn't need one that expensive to start off with. why not buy a good used one to learn on and then once you realize that your never going to stop surfing and your ready to make a full investment, then go out and start looking for shapers. but i can't stop you, i can only give advice like you asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by gruvi View Post
    I already own a "cheap" board I'm learning on now. The custom is for after I become proffiecient at surfing.
    Yeah...thats just plain crazy...buying a custom board before you become proficient for surfing after you become proficient makes no sense. The first year or two of surfing is a constant learning curve - predicting what kind of board you will want 100 sessions down the road is a crapshoot.
    Last edited by scotty; Sep 19, 2011 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Yeah...thats just plain crazy...buying a custom board before you become proficient for surfing after you become proficient makes no sense. The first year or two of surfing is a constant learning curve - predicting what kind of board you will want 100 sessions down the road is a crapshoot.
    Hey man, what car do you drive? What is your dietary choices? What clothes line do you prefer? What water heater did you choose for your home? etc. What makes you 100% certain they are ideal for you? Make sense? All I know is after spending a lot of time on the phone, along with several emails, the shaper understands my long term goal and he understands until I advance in surfing he feels the board will be forgiving from my current experience and still deliver fun once I get better at the hobby. Some people just be hatin' on others for what they can get. Don't do that.

i'm sorry,i think this guy is really weird,and hilly,and i still think the entire thread is really creepy and really weird,a put-on,i hope,or there's some weird language barrier and groovy's from some other country,or even if not ****sexual still really gay.he said it himself in the op,weirded out,that's me and creeped out,too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer View Post
    Thats how I learned to surf. By the way you wont drowned because its big, youll learn to duck dive and paddle faster in harsh conditions. He will not be able to even get out... its a good way to learn how much work it takes to become a good surfer...dont be such a pus.
    And of course go out with a friend on harsh days.
    Just because you got lucky, does not mean it is sound advice. Also, most beginners ride longboards. These are not exactly the type of board you use to learn how to duck dive.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Just because you got lucky, does not mean it is sound advice. Also, most beginners ride longboards. These are not exactly the type of board you use to learn how to duck dive.
    I agree. My first board is an 8 foot and it was bought under advisement by the surf shop I frequent. Granted I have had one person that saw it in person say it's not a board they would recommend a beginner, but almost everyone else that saw it and rode it said it's an ideal board for a beginner like me that is naturally athletic with decent balance. There is no way I duck dive it. I just watch sets and when I have to take on a cresting wave I either lift myself by straightening my arms and roll over the break or I press my head and chest tight to it while holding on tight to rails. If I have the board slip out from me because I take a hit, I exercise staying under a little longer to avoid a knock in my head. I have made sure to look that no one is behind me when paddling out as well as I try to stay to right of guys in the line up. Today, due to the recent outings I paddled a lot in, I am sore in muscles I haven't used in a long time and that right there warns me I'm going about it the right way by not charging out to catch bigger waves and rougher currents that my redeveloping muscles are telling me they aren't ready for!

There is no way you paddled out on that fun board today.. no way.

Quote Originally Posted by Epic View Post
    There is no way you paddled out on that fun board today.. no way.
    I didn't go out today. I'm going tomorrow.

im going out saturday and maybe next thursday. but you will be in va next week. maybe the following weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    im going out saturday and maybe next thursday. but you will be in va next week. maybe the following weekend?
    Hilly u crack me up with that mug shot. This thread has gone to far. By the way the surf was really fun tonite....hope u all got some.