LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    columbia SC, and i go to holden beach NC alot
    Posts
    35

    what thickness wetsuit should i get? and looking for surf buddies

    hi i have just started to really get into surfing and was wondering what thickness of a wet suit i should get for when it gets cold. i surf at holden beach and ocean isle. they are on the southern edge of NC. i was thinking a 3/2 suit might be ok, but does the water get too cold for that in the middle of the winter? im new to the whole wet suit thing so i dont really know much.

    also if anyone surfs near there and would like to have someone to surf with im looking for people. Im 24 and i usually go everyother weekend. i hate surfing by myself though and none of my friends like it enough that they are interested in surfing in colder months. i stay near holden beach because thats where my parents have a place. im just a beginner and have just gotten to the point where i can go sideways on the waves and ride in front of where it breaks. i ride a 8'4" long board, and i bought a 6'8" fun board. although im afraid i might be a hair to heavy for it, because it feels pretty sluggish when i stand up on it compared to my long board.

    anyway thanks for any help

    AJ

  2. #2
    Last winter I wore a 4/3 with insulated rash guard, hood, booties, gloves and was still cold, but it was an unusually cold winter. I'd say a 4/3 plus booties and gloves will normally be plenty good.

  3. #3
    hey bro. I moved here 2yrs ago from cali and stopped by a few surf shops and they said a 3/2 with gloved and boots would be fine cause it doesn't get cold here. Well It snowed the 2 winters i've lived here and water temps hit the 40's. WTF. Everyone says that it never gets cold here but I lived in Florida and Cali and would have to say this place is cold as all get out. I'm not sure what the history of water temp is here but after these 2 years i would recommend a 4/3 definately! skip the 3/2 cause the h2o temp goes right throught the 60's and hits the 50's in no time, and then when it comes back it goes from 50's to 70's in a hot minute. I'm trying to move away from here cause this place is freezing in the winter!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    columbia SC, and i go to holden beach NC alot
    Posts
    35
    hey guys thanks for the info. 4/3 it is then! also if either one of yall are interested in surfing some weekends and your near holden beach let me know. id like to surf with more experienced surfers. learn a few tips and such. i actually drive from columbia sc to there, but that is where i stay. so if yall are closer to columbia than that, well that works as well.

    thanks
    AJ

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,536
    Quote Originally Posted by radripperaj View Post
    hey guys thanks for the info. 4/3 it is then! also if either one of yall are interested in surfing some weekends and your near holden beach let me know. id like to surf with more experienced surfers. learn a few tips and such. i actually drive from columbia sc to there, but that is where i stay. so if yall are closer to columbia than that, well that works as well.

    thanks
    AJ
    Why drive from Columbia to Holden when you can make a day trip to Folly Beach, SC? Folly has some great breaks and the water is slightly warmer in the winter. I know you said your rents have a place in NC, but I would still stick to Folly. If you are a beginner, hit 8th St. W. It isn't as big as the East end (or the Washout), but it is a bit more manageable for beginners. I was surfing 9th St. E, but that area was fairly crowded and had more experienced surfer. I surfed 8th St. W this last weekend and thought it was perfect. 2-3ft waves, semi-clean, and only 3 other people out. Just some advice from an ex-South Carolinian.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    columbia SC, and i go to holden beach NC alot
    Posts
    35
    hey brewengineer. thanks for the advice. i stuck to holden beach mainly because that was the one place i knew really well. are there any rules at folly beach? like when and where you can surf? how is the parking on 8th st W.?

    thanks for the help

    AJ

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,536
    Quote Originally Posted by radripperaj View Post
    hey brewengineer. thanks for the advice. i stuck to holden beach mainly because that was the one place i knew really well. are there any rules at folly beach? like when and where you can surf? how is the parking on 8th st W.?

    thanks for the help

    AJ
    The rules are:
    No surfing from 10am to 6pm between 6th St W and 6th St E in the summer (ends Sept 15th, I believe)
    No surfing within 200ft of the pier

    Other than that, you are all good. 8th St W does have some free parking, so I usually find a place. In the peak part of summer, it is pretty crowded down there. When you start feeling more confident in your abilities, you can move to 9th St E. That break is pretty close to the size and strength of the Washout.

  8. #8
    Definitely get a 4/3... I had the same situation a few years ago, and basically if you're a good surfer and surf daily and have the $, you would want to get a 3/2 for early winter.. and a 4/3 for dec-feb... then break out the 3/2 again in march until you don't need a wetsuit anymore. I went a year with just a 4/3 and you do get a little hot in it before the water is too cold... but its no big deal i'd rather be warm than cold.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rock Hill SC
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by radripperaj View Post
    also if anyone surfs near there and would like to have someone to surf with im looking for people. Im 24 and i usually go everyother weekend. i hate surfing by myself though and none of my friends like it enough that they are interested in surfing in colder months. i stay near holden beach because thats where my parents have a place. im just a beginner and have just gotten to the point where i can go sideways on the waves and ride in front of where it breaks. i ride a 8'4" long board, and i bought a 6'8" fun board. although im afraid i might be a hair to heavy for it, because it feels pretty sluggish when i stand up on it compared to my long board.

    anyway thanks for any help

    AJ
    I live in Rock Hill SC and drive through Columbia to go to Folly a couple times a month if you wanna share a ride/split gas sometime. I usually get up really early and drive back home that night. I'm just starting too, took a lesson last summer and I've been maybe 10 times this year, still getting the hang of it. None of my friends surf either so it would be cool to have someone to ride with instead of going alone.

    Also I've had a few people tell me I'd be a little cold in a 3/2 in the coldest months but it wasn't intolerable. Like someone said above though, I'd much rather be hot than cold so I'm looking for a 4/3 and if I have the money later I'll get a 3/2.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    columbia SC, and i go to holden beach NC alot
    Posts
    35
    hey nanook, id be happy to split gas with you and we could take turns driving vehicles. my truck doesnt have a/c though, but it should be fine in the cooler months coming up. ive been surfing about ten times this year as well. im going to get a 4/3 when i have the money as well. i would like to keep surfing through the winter so i dont lose all my skills i get over every summer. i'll pm you with my info. you can text me or call and we can set up sometime to go.