LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Wearing a wristwatch while surfing

What is the deal with so many people wearing those cheapo plastic square faced watches while surfing? Why not just wear a simple to read all purpose dive watch, steel with hands that point to the time? Wear no watch at all. The crew I know in Virginia doesn't subscribe to the watch thing. I see it only in NJ. I'm curious. Is surfing a sport that gets that many "trendy" people in it? Yeeech if yes!

I've been wearing a watch surfing for the lat 28 years. not sure if thats trendy. I do it for 2 reasons, i like to know the time so if i have to be somewhere I am not late. also its nice in the summer to know that the guards are close to coming out. If you compete, a watch is very handy for keeping track of time during your heat.

Why do I wear a cheap watch? Because I'm cheap and I ONLY wear a watch when I'm surfing, so why do I need an expensive one? Is this trendy? I don't know, I've never really paid attention to what others are wearing. Why wear a watch at all? Because I have a wife and kid and busy schedule and I don't have the luxury to just stay out in the water for as long as I feel like it. Before I started wearing a watch while surfing I found I was actually overestimating my time out. I would pack it in, get back to the car and find out I could have stayed out for another 1/2 hour.

Good points. Can you actually see the graphics of these LCD watches while on the water? I wore my watch (a steel diver automatic movement) the first time or two I went out. Of course I had no problem at all glancing at and seeing the time no matter the sky conditions. I would find an LCD panel can't be as easily read or am I wrong?
    I stopped wearing the watch when I did more research and saw in several write ups that a reflection off a watch can look like a bait fish to a predator fish, and that right there made me stop using a watch!

"The watch thing"? This guy is so weird. Why do you care what kind of watch anybody wears? This has nothing to do with surfing and everything to do with creepyness. Plus, he's full of sh*t. I surf Va Beach and always wear a watch. Never surfed in NJ but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by gruvi View Post
    Good points. Can you actually see the graphics of these LCD watches while on the water? I wore my watch (a steel diver automatic movement) the first time or two I went out. Of course I had no problem at all glancing at and seeing the time no matter the sky conditions. I would find an LCD panel can't be as easily read or am I wrong?
    I stopped wearing the watch when I did more research and saw in several write ups that a reflection off a watch can look like a bait fish to a predator fish, and that right there made me stop using a watch!
    and you don't think that the white sole of your foot that is in constant motion doesn't look more like a nice tasty shark snack???

Nah, I keep my feet up and just use my arms. Thanks

What is the deal with so many people wearing those cheapo plastic square faced watches while surfing?
    you wear them to tell the time, worm.
    and they're cheap in case they break, WORM!

Nah, I keep my feet up and just use my arms. Thanks
    Ok thats it. This will be my last response to this guy...please dont enable this fraud anymore my friends....but it is pretty entertaining...?

Images
    I wear my Freestyle Tide 3.0...is that ok? Or is it too cheap?