LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concussions

Question Concussions

Have any of ya'll experienced a concussion while surfing?

I ask because I think I may have just had a minor one today. It wasn't big today, maybe waist to stomach high, but there's an outside sandbar that caused the bigger sets to jack up and pitch. I paddled into one of those, but was really in a bad spot, so I had one of those moments when I thought about letting the wave go and at the same time paddling for it. I was in a really awkward position when the wave doubled up and I got pitched over. I remember getting spun around violently underwater a few times, while the rail of my board whacked my calf repeatedly. No hit on the head. I thought I came out ok, but had a really blurry vision when I surface, and I couldn't even lay on the board to paddle back outside since I kept losing my balance trying to pop on the board. 10-15 minutes later I couldn't even make out the coming sets. I stayed in the water for about another hour, even caught a couple more waves. But the drive home, and even as I type this, I feel a little bit lightheaded.

First time this ever happened. I know we relate concussions to head trauma like getting a bad collision in football, but I believe you can also get one when you get rocked, and even when there was never any impact to your head.

Any similar experiences?

I wouldn't mess around. You don't want to risk playing with a head bleed. If you can, get to your ER to rule out any injuries. Do it now. Let us know how things go after. Don't wait because symptoms may clear but underneath could be danger brewing that could be disastrous later on.

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    you cant most definitely rock your brain around from getting smacked by a powerful wave. ive had a few concussions in my life (none from surfing), but i have had mild to severe. take a rest for a few days. time and rest is the best way to heal. DONT try to do anything that involves exerting yourself.

i would call your physician as well, as it sounds like you got more than a mild concussion. going to sleep/waiting on it/not getting an MRI is 100% not advised

Like pv said call your doctor and what ever you don't listen to gruvi. Gruvi u are pressing your luck here...watch yourself. Good luck mc loven

Images
    i don't think you can get a concussion by pressure, but it might be possible?

i took a pretty good whack on the noggin by a hockey skate and got a concussion from that and it screwed up my balance and gave me headaches and vision problems for several weeks. dont mess around go to the doctor

Images
    waves have a lot and movement behind them . Depending on the waves I am sure you brain could get shaken around from the just of a waves whiping you around under water. they only thing that seperated our skull from our brains is a thin layer of tissue and fluid so I can see how it could happen

id say you more then likely got one. i have had 7 so i would say i deff know the symptoms and you are spot on. i never got one surfing but i did get one wakeboarding about 3 years ago. i hit the water so hard it knocked me out. is it possible you smacked your dome piece on the water pretty good? also any symptoms of vomiting or nausea?

Dont guess.....we now know concussions lead to more serious conditions with age.....see a good doctor

Going back a few months ago,I smashed my head against a steel beem.My doc thought I had a mild concussion.It actually lasted for a few weeks maybe longer.I was getting this weird head pain in different parts of my head.Not a good feeling.Mclovin your the only one that knows how you feel but its something you have to take serious.Its better to be safe then sorry and get it checked out.