LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Images
    Gruvi, rather then trying to provoke other users, it might be a good idea to just hang low until you see how other members are in the forum... or you will probably just get shredded apart again.

Just like surfing in someone else's territory, you have to let the locals have first dibs, until you earn a bit of respect.

welcome back Gruvi. Good luck to you. I also got into surfing relatively later in life (mid 20s) and don't live particularly close to the ocean -- so it's a lot of work, but well worth it.

As a beginner, the most important thing to remember is to stay out of people's way. Read up on surf etiquette and make sure you understand it. It's not just about being polite, but also the safety of people and their boards. From your initial post, it sounded like you may not have understood all that.
    Last edited by brek; Sep 21, 2011 at 04:29 PM.

let's get rid of matt johnston and make gruvi the new admin. dude clearly gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    Gruvi, rather then trying to provoke other users, it might be a good idea to just hang low until you see how other members are in the forum... or you will probably just get shredded apart again.

Just like surfing in someone else's territory, you have to let the locals have first dibs, until you earn a bit of respect.
    No disagreement here. But I can't help being outgoing to others sometimes. I love people too much and I'm just absolutely loving sharing the stoke! Please pardon me gang if I'm too happy at times Thanks again Admin!

theres no way this dude is for real

Must figure out how to disable the smileys! Muhahahahhah

Thanks brek! I appreciate the advice. To me it's the most intimidating part of beginning; staying out of the way! Everytime I've been out in Belmar, I spent more time out of the water because I didn't want to be in the way. So I spent that time watching others; how they pop up, when they bail, which waves they let go, who gets the wave rights, and so on. Sometimes I feel bothered that I am not able to get the paddle practice I want (due to there's usually a guy or two hogging all the waves), but I am discovering surfing is not something to be rushed for me. Next week will be much better to learn and improve since I'm going to be in Assateague where I actually got to know several dudes, as well as there is a wider berth of set areas where I won't interfere with the experienced surfers. Plus if something goes bad I feel confident that I would get help. In Belmar I don't quite get the same vibe unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by brek View Post
    welcome back Gruvi. Good luck to you. I also got into surfing relatively later in life (mid 20s) and don't live particularly close to the ocean -- so it's a lot of work, but well worth it.

As a beginner, the most important thing to remember is to stay out of people's way. Read up on surf etiquette and make sure you understand it. It's not just about being polite, but also the safety of people and their boards.

if i really was wrong,then i am sorry.please forgive

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by gruvi View Post
    Do you mean we will get along in a nice manner now Sniffer, or awesome in that you will have me here to harrass?
    Since you have been on this site, you have yet to get wet. Please take my advice from the beginning...Go Surf! Stop your yapping and stop trying to learn about surfing on the freakin internet. Your dealing with people here that have surfed the North Atlantic year in and year out...we dont like to welcome people that use surfing as an image thing or something that is convienent to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post

Good advice. There are a vicious bunch of assholes around here, aren't there? I am still confused as to what this dude did to provoke the ****storm on the other thread. He is a little strange, but seems to have good intentions. That is more than I can say about a few older members here.