LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta vent

Hybrid View

Gotta vent

So not sure what ppl think, but i've been surfin for 20 yrs now, (ouch im old) and it seems now more than ever ppl congregate in the same spots, whatever happened to spreading out, ill surf a lesser wave if only so I don't have to deal with 40 of my closest friends, am I weird or just getting too old and becoming anti-social. And to the kid i ran over (you looked about 20), sorry but when you sit inside with 10 of your buddys I cant keep track of all of you at once, especially when 4 of you are trying to drop in everytime. And don't even get me started on the surf nanny cams!

It's the youtube generation man. They like to pack themselves in front of anyone with a camera and be famous. The internet is so filled with 'cool vid's' of mediocre surfing. Drives me nuts how people care more about looking cool than just having fun out there. Nevermind the fact that showing people you can mount a go-pro and look like Gumby doesn't really make you look cool. Anyhow, I'm with ya man. I wouldn't consider myself an 'old guy', but I would argue the guys on longboards are a lot more fun to surf with. Less attitude, more aloha, more sharing, etc. The young'n have lost their stoke, maybe because they got coddled as groms instead of getting stuffed in trash cans.

I actually was out the other day with my short but went back to the house and got my 8 8 stewart hydro sat outside and caught everything b/c it was me and 1 other for a good 20 min then bam 40 ppl showed and it was way too crowded, all im sayin is go over a jetty or 2, if i walk up and see 10 at the jetty i'm movin down to less crowded block, there is only like 6 miles worth of beach on the island, but thats just me i guess. And the cams have ruined a couple of my old faves from growin up, what if we moved the cams?

Quote Originally Posted by Harhar View Post
    what if we moved the cams?
    Ever since a certain cam became the subject of discussion here, it seems to have gone offline.

Quote Originally Posted by brek View Post
    Ever since a certain cam became the subject of discussion here, it seems to have gone offline.
    yeah man wtf with that?

did someone on that angry thread go ahead and break it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by live aloha View Post
    It's the youtube generation man. They like to pack themselves in front of anyone with a camera and be famous. The internet is so filled with 'cool vid's' of mediocre surfing. Drives me nuts how people care more about looking cool than just having fun out there. Nevermind the fact that showing people you can mount a go-pro and look like Gumby doesn't really make you look cool. Anyhow, I'm with ya man. I wouldn't consider myself an 'old guy', but I would argue the guys on longboards are a lot more fun to surf with. Less attitude, more aloha, more sharing, etc. The young'n have lost their stoke, maybe because they got coddled as groms instead of getting stuffed in trash cans.
    nothing more annoying then go-pro videos...watch my sweet facial expressions brah!!!!!! or my super rad feet twist and turn while water splashes on them!!!!! I've never seen such an intense angle of these circumstances!

uh, what is up with the flurry of new members? did gruvi start a trend?

Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    uh, what is up with the flurry of new members? did gruvi start a trend?
    No but I think there have been a ton of lurkers. Look at the amt of reads for a thread and they are in the thousands. Definitely aren't thousands of replies...

We're social creatures... we're wired to feel more comfortable and safer with others of our kind.

So yea... if you're the kind of surfer who'd rather surf off season, seek out an empty peak, catch waves at your leisure, not have to worry about "taking turns" or hitting someone and damaging board or flesh... yes... you ARE and antisocial freak who's genetic code should be plucked from the gene pool.

Why can't everyone just be normal... and surf the same peak, wear the same boardies, and ride the same surfboard? Geeez...

Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    nothing more annoying then go-pro videos...watch my sweet facial expressions brah!!!!!! or my super rad feet twist and turn while water splashes on them!!!!! I've never seen such an intense angle of these circumstances!
    haha, good to hear i'm not the only one who feels that way!