LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gotta vent

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer View Post
    I cant agree with your rant. If I want to be aggressive and paddle twice as hard out there than others and go from peak to peak, than thats my right to do so. If someone wants to sit idle at one peak, well thats there problem....not mine.
    It becomes your problem when you paddle over to try to catch a wave that is clearly peaking where I have been sitting for 10 minutes waiting for it. Cause that's when we have words.

I'm not talking about a point break or a spot where there is only one peak. I'm talking about a shifty peak that has been delivering good waves across the line-up. I'm talking about the douche bags that don't share or allow others to get their share of waves.

If you're selfish enough that you think you deserve every wave that comes through you're a douche plain and simple. Learn to share. It's not called being "aggressive" it's called being selfish.

Edit: It's the "not my problem" attitude that is wrong with society today. Screw your neighbor, I want what I want and fock whoever gets in my way. Nothing annoys me more than people who have self entitlement attitudes and don't think about how their actions effect others. There is NO stoke in that.
    Last edited by rDJ; Sep 23, 2011 at 05:03 PM.

I think this topic is hard to make a direct argument about. There are a lot of variables that go into shifting peaks...what if the tide causes one peak to become a better spot, I cant go to that peak now? I havent gotten into an argument with another surfer in about 10 years so I dont believe my agressiveness = selfishness. I can understand where you are coming from, but I never get mad at anyone that want to surf with a full throttle mentality...its the competitive nature in me that feels good out there sometimes.

Hey Sniffer, would have finished the race or helped the guy who was screaming?
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/b...hschool-wp6171

Oh wait, it's not YOUR problem he's in pain and needs help, you need to finish your race, so be aggressive and ignore his pain and go get that win you so deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer View Post
    its the competitive nature in me that feels good out there sometimes.
    Exactly...

Competition ruined surfing...

It should be about stoke, not beating out someone else for a wave. I feel stoke when I see someone else get a good wave.

I dont think we are arguing about the same thing here, you obviously have stronger feelings about this than I do. And just so you know, I have helped 1 swimmer and 1 surfer in distress get to shore through the years.

Quote Originally Posted by rDJ View Post
    Exactly...

It should be about stoke, not beating out someone else for a wave. I feel stoke when I see someone else get a good wave.
    Completely disagree. if anything the laid back 'soul' attitude ruined surfing and created a sense of entitlement and not earning a place in the line up since it create an atmosphere of no conflict.

Exactly...

I believe that the best things DONT come to those who wait...The best things come to those who work hard!

If you're selfish enough that you think you deserve every wave that comes through you're a douche plain and simple. Learn to share. It's not called being "aggressive" it's called being selfish.
    Agreed again! In most cases I know I can out paddle people and get to a spot but I dont because I share since we are all out there to do the same thing. In fact when I have caught my share I always give opportunities to others so they can enjoy as well. The worst is when someone just paddled out after catching a wave a turns around and goes again...talkin bout selfish.

Images
    It all depends. In the winter most of the people out there are pretty chill and everyone goes about trading waves and having fun.

In the summer/early fall when it's super crowded I say it's every man for himself. If you can read the wave early enough to paddle around everyone to the peak then you deserve to get it. If everyone were to just wait there turn when it's super crowded you would get about 1 of every 20 waves that come through.

It's a whole different mindset and depends on the crowd. If everyone is a competent, chill surfer then just have fun trading waves but if the lineup is full of kooks just getting in the way then I'm gonna paddle around them to the peak.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    It's a whole different mindset and depends on the crowd. If everyone is a competent, chill surfer then just have fun trading waves but if the lineup is full of kooks just getting in the way then I'm gonna paddle around them to the peak.
    Ok i agree with Rob here. Sometimes there are people who keep going for waves and miss them, or surfing in a more experienced spot where they don't belong, in which case paddling over and taking the wave is legit.