LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

old board question?

I have and have had since I was 10 (learned to surf on it) a 6'6" mike tabeling airbrushed single fin its in rough condition but love it, take it out now and again but usually its on my wall, if anyone can tell me something about it it would be appreciated as i have had a hard time finding out much and haven't come across one like it. Pic will be posted tomorrow

Don't know much about Mike Tabeling, except that he's a legend from the East Coast. The board is most likely from the 70s.

he was a great surfer an interesting individual

mt board.jpg
    here she is

Cool looking board! Nice colors. Is that really duct tape?

Definitely an early 80s model, out of his shop in Merritt Island, FL, near Cocoa. May or may not have been shaped by him personally... check for a signature. He had about a half dozen other guys shaping in and out.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Sep 22, 2011 at 05:25 PM.

No gruvi its fake duct tape, covers a weak spot in the glass beside the stringer where an idiot decided to plant his board many years ago. I replaced the fin box 10 years ago after i let a friend borrow it and it came back missing the fin and with a couple dings, lesson learned. Have wanted to retire it, but its a great board seen many a hurricane swell and i just have to ride it now and again.

I don't doubt LBcew is right on time table but just maybe a little earlier in 70's? Did he also shape/market his boards under the label MTB (Mike Tabling Boards) just too long ago to remember which label preceeded the other(if it did)? I had one of his swallow tails out of Sunshine House in OC mid 70's. We had the pleasure of watching him rip in the lineup prior ESA contest tour in OC. He's still around surf'n scene saw comment on Swaylocks he's working for one of the pop out companies.

Of the few boards i've seen they all have the MT with mike tabeling surfboards underneath, like mine, but most i've seen in pics the MT is horizontal when the board is upright, which is opposite mine. and i've never seen MTB

Images
    there's actually something much better than duct tape to keep the water out if you cant get it fixes right away. Aluminum tape. Kind of pricey at HD or Lowe's but it does it's job. The threads in duct tape let water right in.