LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Surfing; Weather and some fear

Dudes, what is it like to surf in rain? I hear there is expected rain over one inch tomorrow. Is this mostly for hardcore surfers or will I be alright? Also a dude wants to meet at 5 pm, that is near dusk...any safety concerns with gray suits this time of day inshore? Yesterday I saw a boatload of sardines jumping near me at the line up and it creeped me out a little. Then I remembered someone here said they can smell fear like a dog so I just calmly turned my board toward shore, as I hummed to myself, paddling smoothly in. That was just after 4 pm. And yes, I know I'm in their house but I like to know odds are not going to be in their favor to snack on me...ever!

Images
    Don't worry about sharks bro. I have surfed numerous, numerous times right through dusk and even into night (literally surfing by the light of the moon) with no probs. Don't let your mind get the better of you.

Rain is a non issue as is snow. It actaully can make it glass off nicely if the wind calms down (mostly summer showers).

I've surfed in straight up lightning storms which were pretty sketchy looking back but hey, I'm not worried about dying so I had to catch some tubes.

Images
    this guy can't be serious...total mole.

This does make me feel better psychologically Wally, thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    Don't worry about sharks bro. I have surfed numerous, numerous times right through dusk and even into night (literally surfing by the light of the moon) with no probs. Don't let your mind get the better of you.

Rain is a non issue as is snow. It actaully can make it glass off nicely if the wind calms down (mostly summer showers).

I've surfed in straight up lightning storms which were pretty sketchy looking back but hey, I'm not worried about dying so I had to catch some tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTsoul View Post
    this guy can't be serious...total mole.
    you think I was planted here by other(s)? Why?

Surfing in the rain sucks.... you get all wet.

(sorry, old bad joke) As wally said, it can actually glass things off nicely. I tend to get out when I see lightning.

Sharks, I will get out if I see a big shark in the lineup, but that's happened maybe twice in over 35 years of surfing the east coast. (Oh crap, I'm getting old!)

Foodchain info: if you see sardines, or other baitfish jumping, that's not a big deal, as there's just something bigger (like a bluefish or a weakfish) trying to eat them. If a whole school of larger fish comes in and starts feeding on the baitfish, you can usually see this because there's a whole bunch of seagulls hovering over the activity, feeding on the scraps. This should be avoided because sharks will often join in the fun. If a bunch of bluefish jump out of the water (like the sardines you saw) you can be pretty sure there's a grey suit trying to snack on them.

How big were these sharks? Do you know what kind? Where did you see them Capt?
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptJAQ View Post
    Surfing in the rain sucks.... you get all wet.

(sorry, old bad joke) As wally said, it can actually glass things off nicely. I tend to get out when I see lightning.

Sharks, I will get out if I see a big shark in the lineup, but that's happened maybe twice in over 35 years of surfing the east coast. (Oh crap, I'm getting old!)

Foodchain info: if you see sardines, or other baitfish jumping, that's not a big deal, as there's just something bigger (like a bluefish or a weakfish) trying to eat them. If a whole school of larger fish comes in and starts feeding on the baitfish, you can usually see this because there's a whole bunch of seagulls hovering over the activity, feeding on the scraps. This should be avoided because sharks will often join in the fun. If a bunch of bluefish jump out of the water (like the sardines you saw) you can be pretty sure there's a grey suit trying to snack on them.

Images
    Dude just so you know, there's a search bar on the top right of the page. Just type in what you want to know and it will dig up old threads about it. No need to waste space with a new thread when there's plenty of others on the same subject.

gruvi is a fake

Quote Originally Posted by RightCoastRipper View Post
    gruvi is a fake
    Agreed! Stop feeding it before it gets out of control.