LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Inland, near DC
    Posts
    145
    Once in Avalon, back in the 80s, when 13th (or was it 11th?) street was THE break, there were some pilings that usually had a really nice peak. I was sitting outside and I saw a dorsal and tail fin that were at least 6' apart, cruising 20-30 yards away from me. I'm no shark week expert, so I can't tell you what kind it was, but it was definitely big enough (probably 9-10 feet) to do some damage. I caught the next wave in.

    The other time was at Cape Hatteras, back when the Lighthouse was still on the beach. I didn't see sharks, but my brother and I pulled up to the parking lot, we had driven down to catch some good hurricane surf, the lineup was empty, and the waves were big and clean. We didn't think much of it, and paddled out. In between catching a few waves, we saw multiple bluefish jumping clear out of the water. We got out, and on our way to the car, a guy said "were you guys just out there?" We said yes, he said "oh man, there was a school of about 50 hammerheads out there in the lineup about a half hour ago."

    You shouldn't worry about sharks, but if you see a big one, or a big fish jumping, you should get out. Also if a school of blues is feeding nearby, you should get out. Here's what a bluefish can do to you: (not my foot/pic, found it with google)


  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    316
    Hey Capt I just shivered reading your story! Wow! Okay, thanks for advice. I will just keep my eyes ever more open to the scene around me.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BELMAR, NJ
    Posts
    1,170
    Images
    1
    Your the Best Wally!!!! the best!!!! When are you local so we can surf??? sat am- looks like longboard waves!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    Don't worry about sharks bro. I have surfed numerous, numerous times right through dusk and even into night (literally surfing by the light of the moon) with no probs. Don't let your mind get the better of you.

    Rain is a non issue as is snow. It actaully can make it glass off nicely if the wind calms down (mostly summer showers).

    I've surfed in straight up lightning storms which were pretty sketchy looking back but hey, I'm not worried about dying so I had to catch some tubes.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Green Room
    Posts
    904
    Images
    8
    No longboards bro!!! I thought we were going offshore with Capt Jim on Saturday for some tuna?? Sunday after church should be rippable! I'm working from home today and tomorrow. Just went down there and there's nothing today. We gotta catch up! Back to MD Monday morning.
    Last edited by wallysurfr; Sep 22, 2011 at 04:50 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BELMAR, NJ
    Posts
    1,170
    Images
    1
    Yes bro!!! Tuna with the Capt!!! Although I have not heard anything about the tuna yet.... We gotta surf bro!

    Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    No longboards bro!!! I thought we were going offshore with Capt Jim on Saturday for some tuna?? Sunday after church should be rippable! I'm working from home today and tomorrow. Just went down there and there's nothing today. We gotta catch up! Back to MD Monday morning.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptJAQ View Post
    Once in Avalon, back in the 80s, when 13th (or was it 11th?) street was THE break, there were some pilings that usually had a really nice peak. I was sitting outside and I saw a dorsal and tail fin that were at least 6' apart, cruising 20-30 yards away from me. I'm no shark week expert, so I can't tell you what kind it was, but it was definitely big enough (probably 9-10 feet) to do some damage. I caught the next wave in.

    The other time was at Cape Hatteras, back when the Lighthouse was still on the beach. I didn't see sharks, but my brother and I pulled up to the parking lot, we had driven down to catch some good hurricane surf, the lineup was empty, and the waves were big and clean. We didn't think much of it, and paddled out. In between catching a few waves, we saw multiple bluefish jumping clear out of the water. We got out, and on our way to the car, a guy said "were you guys just out there?" We said yes, he said "oh man, there was a school of about 50 hammerheads out there in the lineup about a half hour ago."

    You shouldn't worry about sharks, but if you see a big one, or a big fish jumping, you should get out. Also if a school of blues is feeding nearby, you should get out. Here's what a bluefish can do to you: (not my foot/pic, found it with google)

    13th st used to have the pipe

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Inland, near DC
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    13th st used to have the pipe
    Thanks, I guess my old brain remembers things right some of the time. I knew that break was special when I started seeing George from Surfers Supplies out in the lineup. RIP George.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by gruvi View Post
    so I just calmly turned my board toward shore, as I hummed to myself, paddling smoothly in. That was just after 4 pm. And yes, I know I'm in their house but I like to know odds are not going to be in their favor to snack on me...ever!
    What song did you hum, gruvi? Some songs are more effective than others in warding off sharks. Some of the older more hard core guys on the board might have some insight into what songs are best. Singing prog rock hits in a Geddy Lee like falsetto has often worked for me.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    1,364
    Quote Originally Posted by ragdolling View Post
    What song did you hum, gruvi? Some songs are more effective than others in warding off sharks. Some of the older more hard core guys on the board might have some insight into what songs are best. Singing prog rock hits in a Geddy Lee like falsetto has often worked for me.
    yeah, ask the best surfers you see which songs they hum to ward off the sardines. they'll definitely help you out. you should probably ask them if they're trying to meet at the local gay bar as well

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ragdolling View Post
    What song did you hum, gruvi? Some songs are more effective than others in warding off sharks. Some of the older more hard core guys on the board might have some insight into what songs are best. Singing prog rock hits in a Geddy Lee like falsetto has often worked for me.
    Geddy falsetto def works, but what ever you do gruvi, never hum "Barracuda" in florida, and never ever a Great White song especially "once bitten, twice shy"