LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead Turtle

Hybrid View

Dead Turtle

So, this thing scared the hell outta me yesterday, until it washed ashore and I realized it was dead. It was about 5' long. Anyone know what kinda turtle it it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sea turtle. Poor thing Did anyone move it? The skull and shell are typically cleaned and people collect them, and they are kinda valuable.

I'd go with Loggerhead or maybe Kemp's Ridley, hard to tell color. Nothing VALUABLE here except to DO SOMETHING to make sure our oceans don't die. If we each do a little, it adds up to a lot. I pick up trash (especially plastic) after every session.

Is it the angle or did something take a bite out of the back tail area?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Joyner View Post
    Is it the angle or did something take a bite out of the back tail area?
    I think it was just the angle. But i'm obviously not a turtle expert.

see dead turtle, whose death had nothing to do with you --> mention keeping it --> chinese son-of-a-bish status

looks like a loggerhead. while getting plastic out of the ocean his highly honorable ( I do it every session) our oceans are being stripped of life. Almost all fish species that people like to eat have been over-fished, and when one species is gone we move on to the next. Maybe you have been to restaurants that serve Chilean Seabass. The fish is actually called Patagonian toothfish. They are deepwater fish and slow to reproduce. Average catch size has dropped from 60-80 lbs to 20-25 lbs. When you take the spawning fish out of a population it inevitably crashes the species.

Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    I'd go with Loggerhead or maybe Kemp's Ridley, hard to tell color. Nothing VALUABLE here except to DO SOMETHING to make sure our oceans don't die. If we each do a little, it adds up to a lot. I pick up trash (especially plastic) after every session.
    Ditto, I cant tell you how many times (especially summer) where something blows into the ocean and I (not the person who let it fly away) runs after and gets it, or grab stuff in the ocean and tuck it in my wetsuit. Everyone must contribute!

Quote Originally Posted by Feesh View Post
    Ditto, I cant tell you how many times (especially summer) where something blows into the ocean and I (not the person who let it fly away) runs after and gets it, or grab stuff in the ocean and tuck it in my wetsuit. Everyone must contribute!
    DITTO AND DITTO! Chest zip wetsuits are the best for tucking the trash away!