LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfing!

Images
    I started golfing a few years ago and love it... Its really cheap around where I live and you can golf all year... really cheap in the winter....

I like golf because its a nice escape from surfing....

The thing that keeps me coming back to golf is the same thing that had me hooked on surfing since I was a teenager... Its INCREDIBLY difficult....

You can't fake surfing and you can't fake golfing.... Golfing is the second hardest sport I have every played (second only to surfing). I played pretty much every sport all through high school... Did college soccer.... Golfing and surfing are the most challenging sports on earth... PERIOD....

Surfing is way more physically demanding, but golf is by far the most mentally challenging thing you can do....

P.S... You know Kelly slater golfs every week right? And he is decent.... I actually watched kelly play a whole round at a Pro/Am Celebrity tourny, and he was sick at it!!!

He said he golfs alone all the time, all over HI... He said that he loves the challenege, and like surfing, the second he hit a golf ball, he wanted to master it.... So while I am no kelly slater, I have similar outlooks on it....

And yeah, its definately nice to get away from the women, and the family and everything and just be with the boys, in a golf cart, cooler full of coors light... The cart-girls bringing us shots every 6 holes or so... I mean, a bad day of golfing beats pretty much anything.....

And boy, when you have a bad day in golf, it sticks with you... it haunts you... It changes you as a man... It gets in your hear to the point where at the crack of dawn the next day you feel the need to go to the driving range....

I fu**in love golf!!!!! And you can surf and golf until you die basically....

Last week, I played at Balboa and we got paired up with a guy who was 85 years old.... He WALKED the course!!! He was hitting driver on the par 3s, but he was decent and was golfing... It was really inspiring...

grew up golfing...totally ****ing hate it. its not a sport either, its a game.

3. Quote Originally Posted by still stoked View Post
    Tiger Woods is a surfer. A while back I saw a quote of him saying something like, since I've been surfing I've come to realize golf is for people who can't surf.
    yea ok ... so what do you do when there are no waves ... Slater golfs and he rips so you are completely wrong. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-tDXsuBi28 ... maybe you should try golfing

Images
    I have a bunch of friends who play golf and love it. Most of them were surfers and are now too distracted by family etc to put in the time to stay in shape so they can go for it when the waves get good. To them golf is always there to fit into their schedule. Personally I hate golf but then again I pretty much hate every sport other than surfing. When there are no waves I work, workout or do chores and think about surfing while I'm doing it. I tend to be very focused on one thing and don't like to have other interests creeping into my mind.

5. Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post

And yeah, its definately nice to get away from the women, and the family and everything and just be with the boys, in a golf cart, cooler full of coors light... The cart-girls bringing us shots every 6 holes or so... I mean, a bad day of golfing beats pretty much anything.....

And boy, when you have a bad day in golf, it sticks with you... it haunts you... It changes you as a man... It gets in your hear to the point where at the crack of dawn the next day you feel the need to go to the driving range....

I fu**in love golf!!!!! And you can surf and golf until you die basically....

If you are trying to get good at golf
    A. Walk the course, you arent some like 80 yr old who had double knee replacement
    B. Shots and beers on the course isn't going to help your game out at all. Its going to make you lose focus and golf is a very mental game like you previously mentioned

but yes golf is as addicting as surfing

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stayabovetheweather View Post
    If you are trying to get good at golf
    A. Walk the course, you arent some like 80 yr old who had double knee replacement
    B. Shots and beers on the course isn't going to help your game out at all. Its going to make you lose focus and golf is a very mental game like you previously mentioned

but yes golf is as addicting as surfing
    Agreed. I mostly walk courses, more than fitness its to save 10-15 bucks on the cart fee =)

Some morning, I will meet up with the guys for a 9 hole round before work, then we never drink etc... It helps a little bit... But again, ive only been golfing a few years, and I shoot around 88-95 usually, which is respectable, but no where near "Good Golfing"... so until im breaking 80 in the future, shots and beers will usually be involved... Its all for fun.... Like some other guys said, surfing is my obsession. Ive spent over a decade taking it serious, every day. Like a job. It has consumed me for a long time... I dont have space in my life to take anything as serious as I do surfing, so while im the most competetive person on earth, i like having fun with it... I definately dont take golf "seriously"... If I did, it would take away from my surfing obsession...

To be honest, since I had my first daughter 2.5 months ago, I have only golfed once... Because 3 days out of the week, I am with my daughter and can't golf/surf... The other 4, my wife is around, so every day I get the choice to either surf or golf. I surf every time... no matter what.... Golf will never replace it.... Luckily, I changed a lot in my life to live at a beach that is almost never flat, so for now, I never have to make that choice... it surf, everytime... But the wife and I are talking about relocating back to OC MD or even down in SC... When or if that happens, I am sure that I will be spending many more days on the greens than in the green room.... Couple of my buddies moved back home to MD from california about 5 years ago... They all got super fat, staretd losing hair and NEVER, NEVER surf... so they are all "GOLF GOLF GOLF" ... lets golf!!! And I just call them fat bums who cant even gather the strength to paddle their large carcusses into a wave....

I just started golfing a lot over these past few years... it started cause my bosses all golf and I wanted to impress them... Now im looking towards the future, and since none of my boys surf anymore and they all want to golf, I have to stay one step ahead of them, so 10 years from now im owning them on land and water =) Im selfish and entirely too competetive.

Alrighty then Gnaractually, wang, etl1692 and Harhar.
    @Gnaractually: First of all your post barely made any sense and it further reinforces my opinion that UNCW admits any illiterate hack from out of town just to lower the IQ in the WB lineup. Now, since you somehow stumbled your way into college--check this out. UNCW has one of the nations highest ranked marine biology programs. Now check this out! If you can pull your face away from your bong long enough to make it out of your dorm room there is this thing on the campus called a LIBRARY. And here's the really cool thing: you can read (if your attention span lasts longer than reading a forum thread on the interweb) all of their research on the effects of golf courses on marine estuaries and watersheds. But be careful, this stuff is full of facts.... something you don't seem to be too fond of.

To the rest of you aforementioned fools: I'm surprised your hyperbole made it through the fusion between your heads and the inner walls of your colons. Absolutely amazing. Think about that the next time you complain about the water making you sick or the price of local seafood......

BTW, waves were pretty good today.

Unless you live in a cave, walk to work/class whatever, don't drink outta plastic bottles, and have never eaten anything from a grocery store, etc... don't gimme the "I don't do that cause it hurts the environment" spiel. And the waves were pretty good, hope ya'll got some!!!!!!! And if my choice is a mini-mall, dump, commercial offices or golf course, I'm taking golf course, but thats just me. FORE!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Harhar; Sep 26, 2011 at 03:42 AM.

Images

would you like a sh!t sandwich or a turd salad?

Quote Originally Posted by Harhar View Post
    And if my choice is a mini-mall, dump, commercial offices or golf course, I'm taking golf course, but thats just me. FORE!!!!!!!!
    those aren't your only choices. no need to go down the false dichotomy road. it weakens your argument. the reality is we make decisions each day, balancing the realities of life against our values and philosophies, choosing to live with the consequences, whether it is the diminishing of some seemingly insignificant species, a loss of a break somewhere, or a day or three stuck on the throne with the trots. for many the answers are clear, one way or the other. try to stay above the water...

i hate super overzealous environmentalists as much as i hate super neo con social conservatives. my other sport i do is motocross. not environmentally friendly. i hope that thing about the golf course, and the environment was a joke though. i've played golf before, and don't really like it much. my uncle used to play. not so into the 9 or 18 yard game, but the driving range is pretty cool. i don't go to one, but it's cool to shoot on the range every once in a while.