LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Golfing!

Quote Originally Posted by wang View Post
    I would stop eating then, if I were you. Nothing pollutes our waterways like farm run off. Or, get off your soap box and realize just about everything we do as humans destroys this delicate planet we call earth.
    Complete hyperbole, and read back to spongedude's post about false dichotomy. Some things are easier to control than others. Pretty easy to NOT play golf.....

BTW. Caught it pretty good for a long lunch today, shallow, hollow and fast... creased board.....

Modern golf courses have always been seen as having a hugely negative environmental impact. But just like farming, there are ways to minimize that, and at the same time, improve the quality the product. "Post-modern" golf courses, for lack of a better term, are increasingly environmentally friendly. There are currently about 150 golf courses in New Jersey alone that are actively working with Audubon International to change their facility's operations. In some cases, they're actually improving environmental quality. I know this because I used to work for one.

So... just like a lot of other things, thankfully, times are changing. There's no reason why you can't have both.

[QUOTE=brewengineer;107888]Agreed. That is why I only play on the company dime. [/QUOTE

I enjoy it also, but like you it was expensive, so I I came up with a golf league, we have 16 guys that play to points (stableford scoring system instead of a handicap ) and once a month we play at a course around the area, these courses give us discounted rates to start after 10 a.m. and with 16 or more (if we invite guest out) and since we play year round even when there is noone else on the course in the winter they give us a yearly rate. IF a course is $65 we typically play for under $40

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Complete hyperbole, and read back to spongedude's post about false dichotomy. Some things are easier to control than others. Pretty easy to NOT play golf.....

BTW. Caught it pretty good for a long lunch today, shallow, hollow and fast... creased board.....
    It's pretty easy to kill yourself...

I am with LBCrew. I know quite a few environmentally friendly golf courses. Even the worst golf courses are worlds better than most urban storm water drainage programs.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    It's pretty easy to kill yourself...

I am with LBCrew. I know quite a few environmentally friendly golf courses. Even the worst golf courses are worlds better than most urban storm water drainage programs.
    Hahaha, fair enough on the killing oneself point. Great illustration, made me laugh.
    Sure, golf courses are getting better. Sure they are better than _________ (fill in the blank with some comparatively hyper-industrialized example)--I agree.
    Still, no golf for me. Going to paddle out after work on this board I made from third-use plastic bags. You don't want to know what the second use was, let's just say it serves as somewhat of a bonding agent when making it into a board and you end up not needing wax after the curing process. btw, I have Bull Mastiff puppies for sale..... Later.

Images

what you talkin' 'bout, willis?

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    sounds like another educated elitist......
    yes, because education is clearly bad.

Images

bon mot...or not?

Quote Originally Posted by wang View Post
    I would stop eating then, if I were you. Nothing pollutes our waterways like farm run off. Or, get off your soap box and realize just about everything we do as humans destroys this delicate planet we call earth.
    you are making erock's point. not all food comes from huge corporate enterprises, users of pesticides, or those that create runoff issues. in fact, the new tendency is to follow land contours more naturally because doing so reduces other problems, such as insect predation, erosion, runoff and other conditions that led to water fouling and the great dustbowl of the early 1900's. again, you makes yer choices and lives with yer consequences.

Images

change of course...or change, of course

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Modern golf courses have always been seen as having a hugely negative environmental impact. But just like farming, there are ways to minimize that, and at the same time, improve the quality the product. "Post-modern" golf courses, for lack of a better term, are increasingly environmentally friendly. There are currently about 150 golf courses in New Jersey alone that are actively working with Audubon International to change their facility's operations. In some cases, they're actually improving environmental quality. I know this because I used to work for one.

So... just like a lot of other things, thankfully, times are changing. There's no reason why you can't have both.
    indeed crew. a main part of ag education now is dealing with minimizing effects on other environments because even the corporate farmer knows that polluted water, erosion and species habitat changes are more expensive in the long run and therefore detrimental to his bottom line. e.g., kill off the birds and more bugs eat yer stuff. ...pay now or pay (more) later.

gay thread for all the SURF lately

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Going to paddle out after work on this board I made from third-use plastic bags. You don't want to know what the second use was, let's just say it serves as somewhat of a bonding agent when making it into a board and you end up not needing wax after the curing process. btw, I have Bull Mastiff puppies for sale..... Later.
    I am glad that you beat me to it. I was just going to ask you if you were paddling out on your "environmentally friendly board" made with recycled balsa wood, no glassing or coat that you sanded down with your home made sand-paper, with bees wax on top of the board for grip. And of course your hand-woven hemp leash that you tie around your leg... And on top of that, I am sure that you walked to the beach to keep your eco-footprint as small as possible.... And I am sure you give up surfing in the winter time beacuse there are zero "completely"" enviro-friendly wetsuits, although Padagonia is pretty close....

=) I am kidding of course...

Im just saying, there are far worse things than golf courses impacting the ocean... Look at what happens all along both coasts when storms come and the water becomes lethal... lets focus on those things, that impact us in a huge way, year after year after year.

Just having this conversation made me think about some things... So, all my boards are made of foam, fiberglass and pollutants... My wax is made in a huge manufacturing plant that is hurting the environment... My leash was made in thailand (probably involving child labor), my wetsuit is also completely unfriendly as far as the way it was made and manufactured. My fins are also FCS, but made in thailand....

So, I think that on a day to day basis, all of us surfers aren't doing a very good job being "responsible" with the environment... So lets look at ourselves before picking on guys walking around on golf courses..... Because none of us could get through the winter, or even paddle into a wave using "natural" materials... Its flat out impossible... do dont be a hyprocrite unless you truely do paddle out in your hand woven hemp baordies, on your wooden baord with no glass on it, with no leash and walk home to your solar powered beach bungalow where you boil and drink your own recycled toilet water.