LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 61
  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    It has stability like a longboard, but it is still short enough to require popping up like shorter boards.
    Wrong. Your funshape, which probably does have longboard like stability, can't possibly require you to get to your feet like a shortboard if for no other reason than it has that kind of stability. That funshape, albeit shaped more like a shortboard, has more in common, ride wise, with a longboard. If your goal is really to get on a shortboard, get yourself a thick, floaty fish. When I learned, I used a funshape for about 2 months then got a pop-out copy of the Rusty Piranha at 6'6"... best move I made! I traded that board in a few years ago, but sometimes I still wish I had it.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Wrong. Your funshape, which probably does have longboard like stability, can't possibly require you to get to your feet like a shortboard if for no other reason than it has that kind of stability. That funshape, albeit shaped more like a shortboard, has more in common, ride wise, with a longboard. If your goal is really to get on a shortboard, get yourself a thick, floaty fish. When I learned, I used a funshape for about 2 months then got a pop-out copy of the Rusty Piranha at 6'6"... best move I made! I traded that board in a few years ago, but sometimes I still wish I had it.
    I was talking about the fact that you can't pop up using your toes, like is commonly done on longboards. The funshape board is too short, so it forces you to rely on your upper body. That makes it much easier when transitioning to a short board.

  3. #53
    You could just put it in your bum bum (the broken board)

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Barrier Islands
    Posts
    4
    Enough bull****, Take the board to surf shop at Chincotegue. Will give you a board to use till I fix it. Call 757-710-3330. Steve

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    355
    Hi Steve
    From what I learned you will be the man fixing it. I will be there tomorrow to drop it off. I already spoke with one of the guys from shop and he told me you were the guy. Thanks for offer of board, really! However I lucked out and picked up a 7' retro fish for a song. Thanks for the coolest offer
    G
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbsteve View Post
    Enough bull****, Take the board to surf shop at Chincotegue. Will give you a board to use till I fix it. Call 757-710-3330. Steve

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by gruvi View Post
    I really appreciate all the guys advising me to get a longboard and I have question. Can you ride a shortboard? What had to be done to transition from the LB to a SB?
    I started surfing at 45. Once I got hooked, I quit my job, moved to Montauk and surfed almost every day. Then I went to Costa Rica for the whole winter. During the winter in Costa, I started working down. I had incredible sessions on a 7'6" fun shape. Late in the winter I got onto a friends 6' 5" fish. I had a hard time catching waves but when I got in, I had some amazing rides and a lot of fun with it. I've since ridden boards from 7' 10 eggs to 9' 8" logs, but prefer the longboard groove. When i'm in shape I'm a pretty solid, but I prefer the longboard in most conditions... it's just my thing.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BELMAR, NJ
    Posts
    1,215
    Images
    1
    Wait.... wait... you totally just turned down a chance to try another type of board... maybe even a longboard... for free???

    ps- steve your the man!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by gruvi View Post
    Hi Steve
    From what I learned you will be the man fixing it. I will be there tomorrow to drop it off. I already spoke with one of the guys from shop and he told me you were the guy. Thanks for offer of board, really! However I lucked out and picked up a 7' retro fish for a song. Thanks for the coolest offer
    G

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    355
    I just feel the man doesn't have to make me that offer, as kind as it was. I do appreciate it all the same though. Very generous but not necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkingonh2o View Post
    Wait.... wait... you totally just turned down a chance to try another type of board... maybe even a longboard... for free???

    ps- steve your the man!!!

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    355
    Johhnyutah, your story is amazing! Many surfers dream I bet. Can you say how you were able to do this at only 45? Thanks for sharing the story.
    G

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by gruvi View Post
    Johhnyutah, your story is amazing! Many surfers dream I bet. Can you say how you were able to do this at only 45? Thanks for sharing the story.
    G
    Yeah Gruvi, It was pretty straight forward. I wanted it, more than anything and made it happen. Seriously dude, rent a soft top longboard at Atlantic Shoals and practice pop ups in the foam. Then paddle outside and go for waves. Repeat till your arms feel like they are going to fall off. Then come back the next day and repeat.