LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

New in town to OC MD

Hello my name is Tom, I'm 35. I'm moving to OC, MD to surf. I move in this Saturday Oct 1. I'll be honest and say I don't really know too much about surfing the AC. I've hit the castle a few times when there's been some size and I got pounded into the sand, but I'm stoked to get into it.

I have surfed for about 10 years. I have surfed mainly in San Diego, CA. That said, its been a while since I've surfed regularly. 3 years ago, I moved back to MD to be near family (I'm originally from MD), since then I have only been out a handful of times, mainly only when I travel back to CA. Before my move back east I lived in North PB and surfed at least twice a week. I currently surf a 7'0 CI F3. Most of my quiver is back in SD, I have 4 different boards, a 9'0, 8'0 and a 6'9. I've been reluctant to go super short yet, but I'm hoping OC will get me there. For all the surf in SD, most of it is mushy. Its very hard to dominate most breaks with a super short board.

Anyway... I hope to meet some of you out in the line up.

Later,
    -Tom

OCMD is definately a wave for shorter boards. Pretty a steep pocket a-frame wave even at waist high. Not like those long mushy lines of PB. If you want that kind of ride, Assateague is right down the beach.

Images
    oc is pretty consistant wave wise...not nearly as SD. like scotty said, short board is your best route if possible, but if you catch the right sandbar you can get some longboarding in. By watching some OC MD videos, you can pretty much pick out where the spots are. Also, your population will go from maybe 25k people in the off season to 200k people during the season, so prepare for that

Images
    Well, since you've already been pounded into the sand, (one of the blessings of not having a round rock bottom like Trestles) you know that with OCM waves you need to be up and moving quickly. It's not just about board length but a board's ability to plane quickly is even more important. Otherwise, waves like the one below from 46th street will run right past you; and don't listen to Vah Beachers, they know very little about OCM waves or populations. Having worked on the census last year, the off season is lucky to have 8,000 people around in this 10 mile stretch, and very few of them surf unless you count the hordes of invaders from Lower Slower Delaware.

hordes of invaders? their aint that many of us and im pretty sure i see o c guys 'invading' delaware spots when the wind is blowing you know which direction. theres plenty of closeouts to go around down there anyhow

Yes, hi, welcome back home to Maryland. I'm going to be here on AI via maddox blvd in CI and you are welcome to join me and may be more others on Saturday. But notice its to be on 60 degree air temps so wear warm suit. I brought down my 4/3 and may even wear my rash guard under it tied to speedos. I heard from good source tomorrow is good and weekend to with 2 to 3 waves til Wednesday, then gets bigger. Have fun and reach me if you want to drive to here. I'm new. I hope you won't mind that if you come here but the crew is very good!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gruvi View Post
    I'm new.
    No you're not.

Yes, hi, welcome back home to Maryland. I'm going to be here on AI via maddox blvd in CI and you are welcome to join me and may be more others on Saturday. But notice its to be on 60 degree air temps so wear warm suit. I brought down my 4/3 and may even wear my rash guard under it tied to speedos. I heard from good source tomorrow is good and weekend to with 2 to 3 waves til Wednesday, then gets bigger. Have fun and reach me if you want to drive to here. I'm new. I hope you won't mind that if you come here but the crew is very good!
    gruvis gonna melt!

Ocmd is definitely a place that encourages smaller sticks. The beach slam is a big reason why theres a strong bodyboard scene.

MDsurfer, nice pic! when its that from? Do you have more pics from the same day?

I brought down my 4/3 and may even wear my rash guard under it tied to speedos.
    I want to make this my signature.