LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Night Surfing

Quote Originally Posted by lbsurfer View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a type of algae or something. I haven't been in the water when it was around but I was on the beach one night and every time I took a step the sand around my foot would light up. It was so cool lol
    Phytoplankton

Quote Originally Posted by lbsurfer View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a type of algae or something. I haven't been in the water when it was around but I was on the beach one night and every time I took a step the sand around my foot would light up. It was so cool lol
    It was kind of funny ,on the way home I saw a fire truck at the lake not to far from my break.Im thinking were we surfing in radioactive crap or something until I did a little research.Iv'e seen some cool things in the ocean but this was on top of the list.Just don't know if there are any repurcussions by being in the water with this stuff.

its definitely a cool experience but also real sketchy. i did it a few times but im not really a fan of it though hahah

i did it just a couple months ago. once a year or every other year is good for me. one year when some buddies, and i rented on the beach we did it every night for a few weeks straight. not always great surf those nights, but goof times. just be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    About 4 years ago,my buddy and I were surfing are local break.We started surfing right before dark.The water was red.As it got dark out, my buddys riding one in and starts yelling.He thought something was Following him.The water was lighting up bright blue.It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.As the waves were breaking it would light up.Even when you would move your arm a streak of bright blue would follow with a trail.There was a full moon which even made it more pronounced.It was actually about this time of year when it happened.
    I had a similar experience in San Diego a while back. As the little waves barreled and closed out on the inside they glowed blue. And you could look behind you and your fins left a track....amazing.

I wanted to invent a buoy with like a bunch of LED lights or something, just bring it out with you and put it past the sets and turn it on.
    Could work right?
    Last edited by Drinkupdog; Oct 3, 2011 at 12:39 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkupdog View Post
    I wanted to invent a buoy with like a bunch of LED lights or something, just bring it out with you and put it past the sets and turn it on.
    Could work right?
    You can just get the LED surfboard lol- check it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqfWeV6MBZ0
    (I hope that link works!)
    Last edited by walkingonh2o; Oct 3, 2011 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    Just don't know if there are any repurcussions by being in the water with this stuff.
    It's there all the time. You only see it at night.

I've been night surfing for years. My first time was a rocky point break in NorCal. I surfed it once in daylight and got freaked out because of all the rocks. Until then I had only surfed beachbreaks. Pissed at myself for wussing out, I came back at night and wouldn't allow myself to go home until I nabbed one. I finally did, and I was hooked from then on. Sure it gets spooky sometimes. But it's also damn fun. I've had some of my most amazing surf experiences at night...

On South Shore Oahu I surfed Kaisers at night with a few others and heard whales singing, with the hotel lights off in the distance. It was pure magic being out there in the midst of it all.

Another time I surfed the Washout in Charleston, SC around midnight on a full moon. Chest high and glassy, there's NOTHING like hitting the lip under the stars. After an hour or so, my mind wandered to bull sharks, and I got freaked out and left. As for the shark vibe, I personally think if you feel uncomfortable, it's best to just go in. It's no fun being out there afraid (unless that's because it's 8-10 ft barrels). All in all though, I've always had a good time surfing at night. I agree with the previous poster who talked about land-lighting messing things up. You really need to focus to see the waves coming, and big spot lights blind you every time you look at them. If you can set yourself up to catch the wave just after the peak, it's easier because the whitewash is far more visible. Have fun!

Surfed till around 8 at the CP just last night actually. Some guys set up some spotlights on the pier to help light things up. It was pretty big out (H-OH) so that and the whole shark vibe kindof made it uncomfortable once it got dark. I did manage to catch one after the sun had completely set, but after I got one i went in. The shark vibe was spooky (expecially since I cut my ankle on my fin just minutes before it got dark), but the lack of vision was the scariest part. I couldn't see a 10foot wave untill it was right in front of my face. After I caught my last wave I went to catch a wave in on my stomache and I tottally underestimated the size of the wave. Got tottally worked!!

Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    Surfed till around 8 at the CP just last night actually. Some guys set up some spotlights on the pier to help light things up. It was pretty big out (H-OH) so that and the whole shark vibe kindof made it uncomfortable once it got dark. I did manage to catch one after the sun had completely set, but after I got one i went in. The shark vibe was spooky (expecially since I cut my ankle on my fin just minutes before it got dark), but the lack of vision was the scariest part. I couldn't see a 10foot wave untill it was right in front of my face. After I caught my last wave I went to catch a wave in on my stomache and I tottally underestimated the size of the wave. Got tottally worked!!
    Overhead and 10ft eh?
    You must have been with moondoggie smokin some wave-enhancers