LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    just use the cords sold at surf shops or paracord.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Thanks for the replies...Would a zip-tie type thing be reasonable? I've never really thought about using one before, but it seems like it might work pretty well.
    I'm no physicist but I would assume that a zip tie wouldn't give you that elasticity you may need and over time would just end up yanking the plug box out.

Just make sure you wash the string with fresh water after every session like you should with all your gear (amazing how many surfers neglect this) and I don't know if it actually does anything besides make me feel like I'm doing something but I spray fishing line conditioner on all my leash straps and strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Thanks for the replies...Would a zip-tie type thing be reasonable? I've never really thought about using one before, but it seems like it might work pretty well.
    a zip tie can hold for a while but itll get brittle a break. i think spells gives you those little ropes for free ive gotten one from there before. right now i'm using the rope from my soccer shorts cuz i needed and didnt wanna drive anywhere

I finally broke down and just got a cord from the surf shop, my previous one held for a good while so it should be straight. As for the zip tie, Dave I'm kinda in agreement with you that it wouldn't stretch like a rope/cord would, thus possibly yanking the plug completely out...definitely don't want to do that!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by epidemicepic View Post
    The big wave guns usually have two leash plugs in the deck as well

If you want it to last longer dont tie it like that, tie the knot the same but loop the whole thing through the plug and wrap it back through itself. Like this:

larks head

Images
    I use thin rubber bands so i am punished when i loose control and have to go swim for my board.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    If you want it to last longer dont tie it like that, tie the knot the same but loop the whole thing through the plug and wrap it back through itself. Like this:

That's what I was going to say. It's called a girth hitch. Much better way imo.

Hardware stores have the braided nylon in different diameters.....zip ties aren't UV proof.....plus the plastic tabs are rated at around 50lbs, their strength is the tab that holds the ridges....metal ones are stronger but will fail in saltwater...dont bother.

that loopback pic is key.....girth hitch/larks head....great names...