LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

quad vs thruster

For the past 2 years, my go-to board has been a 5"10 x 19 7/8 x 2 1/4 thruster. A little wider in the nose, sharp rails, and a step-down rounded tail. I had been really interested in experimenting with a quad setup, so I finally got around to taking out a demo board yesterday - the 5"6 spitfire by firewire. It's a 5 fin setup, but was setup as a quad when i demo'd.

I had heard that quads had a lot of drive...but I was really suprised by the feel of this board. Super loose, and didn't have the type of drive that I expected. honestly felt more like a twin fin than anything. It seemed to want to be ridden rail-to-rail, with my weight more in the middle of the board. I also found it hard to use my back foot for digging in on turns - not as much grab as i'm used to.

SO - I'm sure I would learn to surf the quad setup better after a few sessions, but I wanted to get some feedback in general from people who have experimented with both setups. Is what i've described the normal quad feel? or do i just need to adjust?

I feel like every two weeks i see a new 'Quad vs. Thruster' post. Just use the search function and you can find whatever you are possibly looking for

i did the quad thing for over a year,and you got it right,i have a definite problem with them.for what they do,i like twins,as quads track like crazy,plus,you put it perfectly in your statement about drive,digging in and grab.well put.i do not like quads.

i have a stretch bat tail quad. i like it frontside but backside its just ok, i have problems digging the rail in so often i find myself loosing speed out of my bottom turn which results in a weak lip crack. everyone surfs differently tho and has thier opinions, but thats my 2 cents.
    Last edited by gnurider7; Oct 3, 2011 at 05:38 PM.

My Firewire Quadraflex is currently my go-to board. I really like it. And tottally disagree with a few things you guys have said. I learned to turn with my back foot on my quad. I think that while thrusters are capable of sharper back-foot turns then a quad, the quad is more stable threw the turn then a thruster is. Which is probably a result of having 2 fins in the water on the turn instead of just 1 on a thruster.

Images
    i sort of feel the opposite of what you described. i feel like my quad has a little more bite, and i can put it on rail just as easily as one of my thrusters. it may just be the board itself, but i definitely feel more drive especially out of bottom turns. i would experiment with the quad a little more, maybe try it on different boards

yeah, the 5"6 spitfire...though 4 inches shorter than my 5"10, actually has beefier rails. I think this played a factor as well, especially in the bottom turn.

I have been riding a 5'10 quad in europe over the past few months and have found it to be a tough adjustment after riding roundtail and squash thrusters. It took me about 8 sessions to figure out the quad approach. It has to be a fine line between flow and snap. The rail to rail response of a quad forces you to make decisions at a faster rate than riding a traditional thruster where there is more of a rhythm to follow. The quad almost makes me bounce back and forth between the two rails and make split second decisions, whereas with a thruster the board almost works with you to make that decision. I know it sounds weird but thats how I felt going down the line on a quad. The turns weren't as pre-meditated which almost made it more interesting. Definitely taught me a lot more about surfing and how waves can be ridden.

good description.that's how i think they don't work 'right.'just me.think a board should go,flow and turn easily.straight up and down or bringing it around on a frontside cutback the quad does not do naturally.gotta go the long way around and sometimes tracks so bad on frontside cutbacks it practically stops when bringing it back around.not happy.prefer a twin,single,thruster,anything but a quad.

I like quads, but thrusters give me better all around response in variable conditions.