LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Beach Replenishment

Love the comment (copied here in case it gets nuked)
    Classic how all of the sand the Army Core of Engineers pumped into Cape May is gone less than a year later. They did the same thing in A.C. a couple months ago and the sand appears to be at least half gone already. They should just make a bon fire with the millions of tax dollars they waist replenishing sand. Hey ENGINEERS, can u say "pissing into the wind"? F##king duh.

Images
    Great, just when I thought there would be hope to the closest break to me (sandy hook), this jerkoff pulls another great one. NJ beach replenishment rocks!

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    every friggin year, theres always some beach that spends millions upon millions to replenish something that naturally erodes. this will never change ugh

"Pissing in the wind," is the perfect way to describe it. Let's spend a boatload of money on a project that provides a very short term solution to erosion, destroys whatever remaining breaks we have, and creates extremely dangerous swimming conditions. Sounds like a win/win situation to me.

Images
    As long as the counties continue to take in millions in tourism revenues each year, the trend will likely continue. Our congressional reps lobby each year for millions to fund Army Corps projects like this. Now could the money be put to better use, I think so but I'm sure there are some that support it. The good news is that it only takes a year or two of noreasters and such to rip away the dredged sand and return breaks to their prior conditions. I'm seeing some spots that were dredged two years ago working better than ever thanks to Irene. Plus I'd say 13$ million is a drop in the bucket compared to what is spent to replenish Cape May Island every two years.

Get over it. you guys b!tch about the same thing every season. the only way our local beach towns survive is if we have a beach. no beach, no tourists. plus, they say they are starting in november, so that sand is gonna be moved around so much during the winter months. only gonna take a short amount of time for the sandbars to get good. not like the summer where it takes until fall.

I wouldn't have a problem if it actually worked, but the sand erodes after a few years anyway. A lot of money being spent for a short-term fix. Not an engineer so I don't know if there is a long term solution, but this does not seem to be a long term viable answer. At some point, the rest of the state is gonna get sick of pouring money into the beach.

Any alternatives? If so come up with a good plan. In the eyes of the govt their solution is working. The replenishments do offer larger beaches for the summer tourists and even though the beaches do disappear after a couple of years that sand is still just offshore offering some protection.

This drives me crazy. First of all, it doesn't work. It never has. I worked at Driftwood beach club in sea bright all through high school and college and we would come back every summer to see the beach totally wiped out again. You can't do this without putting in some type of jedi or artificial reef. The long shore current is way too strong in our area. On top of that, every time they do this they cover the white sand with that gross dark brown poo shard sand. The argument that it helps tourism couldn't be more false. There are public beaches in Monmouth beach but lest we forget your can't park anywhere to get to them so essentially there are no public beaches. Add this to the destruction of any waves and it makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.