LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MonmouthSurfer View Post
    This drives me crazy. First of all, it doesn't work. It never has. I worked at Driftwood beach club in sea bright all through high school and college and we would come back every summer to see the beach totally wiped out again. You can't do this without putting in some type of jedi or artificial reef. The long shore current is way too strong in our area. On top of that, every time they do this they cover the white sand with that gross dark brown poo shard sand. The argument that it helps tourism couldn't be more false. There are public beaches in Monmouth beach but lest we forget your can't park anywhere to get to them so essentially there are no public beaches. Add this to the destruction of any waves and it makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
    Monmouth is probably the worst area to do a beach replenishment because the sand just disappears into that deep trough just off the beach. Its a bluff system as apposed to an island or barrier island. I agree that it is a waste up there....needs a good plan to change the Govt thinking.

Dredging up sand makes for pretty good fishing sometimes though....

Quote Originally Posted by dmonster View Post
    Dredging up sand makes for pretty good fishing sometimes though....
    "Surfing is fun, fishing is no fun." -The Polynesian Kid from Endless Summer 2

1. Surfing
    2. Fishing
    3. Waiting to surf

no town within commuting distance of NYC/North Jersey/Philly - which includes all of Monmouth County - depends on summer "tourism" dollars for anything. All this is is politicians spending tax money to do stuff because it makes them look like their "doing" something and it gives them a way to reward their allies and friends with contracts.

Images
    alternative plan:

Giant canvas bags filled with sand. Giant.

Trust me. The tourism business keeps these towns afloat. I know locals who like to think they don't but they really do. Who is going to spend $5,000 on a rental property for a week where they can't go to the beach?

Beach replenishment is a necessary evil. It has been proven time over time that it is only a short term solution. The good news is that it produces jobs to help the economy going. Not a ton of jobs but a few extra jobs are always welcome. So I think this would be a good thing.

Everyone on this thread is part of the problem since not one of us can come up with a long term solution. So I think we all should go back to the drawing board and figure out what a possible long term solution might be, form a group, get some scientific proof and then present to your local government. Which I know no one will do including myself.

Let's just exclude the guy who mentioned putting in a jedi in the previous post. I don't think Luke Skywalker or Yoda in the water would really help. Maybe a jetty would work?

Things have come a long way in the last 10 years...

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...PF2D6JqQapnJYQ

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer View Post
    even though the beaches do disappear after a couple of years that sand is still just offshore offering some protection.
    Not exactly... it get's transported back to where it came from... off Sandy Hook, where it was dredged to begin with. The Hook just keeps getting longer due to littoral drift. A properly constructed artificial reef will help mitigate that, too.

I would love to see them at least attempt a proper artificial reef rather than dumping more money into a very temporary fix. They can't possible screw that up any worse than pumping live ammo on the beach in Surf City.