LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    i'd rather them put the money to an artificial reef to protect against erosion...

edit: I agree with the post before mine.

And someday, YOU could be an artificial reef!

http://www.eternalreefs.com/index.html

There has to be some way we can let the tax paying public know that this is a total was of their money and we need a better solution like a reef that would create an off shore break. this is just getting stupid. Some is going to die because of this bullsh!t.

I thought about this a while back. Why dont they remove all the jetties from a set area and combine them into a major headland. Similar to the Manasquan Inlet, only higher and further out to sea. Then, use the canvas filled bags to create some type of point. I figured this would create a HUGE beach, epic waves, and help stop the sand from moving north. Something similar to the superbank except A Lot smaller. Lastly, it could block those sh*tty south or north wind days.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rDJ View Post
    I would love to see them at least attempt a proper artificial reef rather than dumping more money into a very temporary fix. They can't possible screw that up any worse than pumping live ammo on the beach in Surf City.
    Was any of it live????

I wouldn't be so quick to say that the replenished beaches will return within a few years. Yes, in some cases it has. examples: long branch, monmouth beach. But one case in particular has yet to return to its old self. That being Sea Bright. They replenished SB way back in 1996/1997 just before I was going to college. I remember vividly getting a week + of great hurricane surf my last week before leaving for school. That was the last time I surfed SB. The waves continue to break only 5-10 feet from shore. The Corps f***ed that place up. I finally saw a bit of promise this summer after the hurricane hit us. Now Monmouth Beach will be getting replenished this fall/winter. We'll have to keep our fingers crossed that this will help breaks to the north and not screw them up again.

Quote Originally Posted by cgilhorn View Post
    Beach replenishment is a necessary evil. It has been proven time over time that it is only a short term solution. The good news is that it produces jobs to help the economy going. Not a ton of jobs but a few extra jobs are always welcome. So I think this would be a good thing.
    Beach replenishment may or may not be a necessary evil, but jobs that don't add value don't keep the economy going. Now, we can argue whether or not these jobs add value due to the whole no tourism with no beach issue, but put that issue aside for the moment. Paying people to move sand around every few years does NOT add value to the economy. It simply takes money from one place (i.e. tax payers) and moves it somewhere else (i.e. the people moving sand). While that may be better for the people moving sand, on the whole, these types of things destroy value in an economy. A more permanent solution is in order as you mention, cgilhorn.

they're installing a wave 1 year after the replenishment... once the beach reaches equilibrium

Images
    Get this, Fenwick Island DE did beach replenishment during the beginning of August and shut down a good portion of what beach they have. Irene came, Irene went and the beach looked exactly like it did before the replenishment. Did replenishment do what it should? YES, but the turn-a-round was only a few days, no joke.

Not to mention, the dredge hit a slit or clay deposit and made water clarity absolute sh!t but did give it a gulf of mexico color.

Images
    Compared to the realized property tax revenue, it's a bargain to pump sand on the East Coast beaches...