LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: College Apps

UNCW could be cool if you are already a good surfer. Don't apply if you plan on learning to surf, you will then be just like 80% of the fools already attending there.

I am from Wilmington and live here now, never have liked UNCW students since I started surfing when I was 8.
    NCSU is my Alma Mater, it's a great school just Raleigh is the armpit of the universe.

Bottom line: find a university that will provide the education you NEED to succeed in an ever-increasingly difficult economic environment. Make time to surf when you can. Don't go to some second-rate school just to be close to the water, it's easier to choose where you live when you can pick from various jobs

Images
    yea i go to va wesleyan in virginia beach. small ass school but 20 mins from the water. easy to get into and don't even need ACT's or SAT's anymore. I commute to school because i live 15 mins from campus. The school has a great reputation so if you graduate it'll look super good on job apps. Plus, I'm only taking out 5000 a YEAR on students loans. everything else is paid for by scholarship and financial aid. now for the swells, that's a different story haha. VB is small most of the time but when its big, it's sick. hit me up if ya got any questions
    Last edited by 757surfer; Oct 4, 2011 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757surfer View Post
    yea i go to va wesleyan in virginia beach. small ass school but 20 mins from the water. easy to get into and don't even need ACT's or SAT's anymore. I commute to school because i live 15 mins from campus. The school has a great reputation so if you graduate it'll look super good on job apps. Plus, I'm only taking out 5000 a YEAR on students loans. everything else is paid for by scholarship and financial aid. now for the swells, that's a different story haha. VB is small most of the time but when its big, it's sick. hit me up if ya got any questions
    Wesleyan has a solid rep but expensive and weak parties.. if your looking in vb go ODU way bigger D1 school...a thread a couple months back about a kid asking the same questions.

Quote Originally Posted by mwill124 View Post
    Wesleyan has a solid rep but expensive and weak parties.. if your looking in vb go ODU way bigger D1 school...a thread a couple months back about a kid asking the same questions.
    If you are going to school looking to party........ you're doing it wrong

Staying in state isnt really an option, monmouth is only 10 min from my house. UNCW is my first option now, and i can get money to go there, so that isnt too much of a concern. I just wanted to make sure i went somewhere with a good surfing community. Gnar, hows the life on campus at UNCW?

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Second this! Also will add be sure to major in something where you can actually get a job when you graduate!

Jobs? What Jobs?

uncw out of state tuition is only 3 grand more than in state tuition NJ and PA state schools.

also: i have never surfed a more crowded line up in my life than crystals in WB. I'm talking like...maybe 300-400 during irene, maybe?

Theres always a little nook, and usually a ripple if you are itching to get wet. I had the most fun session in months last....tuesday? It was only like waist to stomach occ. chest but its was mostly clean soft N winds and chunky and powerful. Just so fun, very consistent and walling up. my point:it breaks better here than NJ/MD/DE when its waist high. depends on tides.

UNCW is becoming more and more popular with the avg gpa of 3.87 of incoming freshman. Look to it be exploding with popularity in the future.

Images
    [QUOTE=leethestud;108902]yeah seriously, I know too many people who got graduate degrees in stuff like linguistics and are now pissed at the world because they have a pizza route and six figures of student debt. Engineering pays. Computer stuff pays. Medical field pays. Accounting and finance pay. Don't do a liberal art unless you have a trust fund waiting on you. Don't become a teacher unless you REALLY want to teach, because their entry level salaries suck.

If you want criminal justice, major in business and get a associates in CJ..from experience. All the police chiefs that I have talked to have said they don't care what your degree is in, so get something in a different field as a back up plan.

Also, reguardless of your major and for the unemployed reading this post, check out usajobs.gov and try and get a government job. They have everything you could think of from meat cutter, nurse, teacher, security, police, fbi...always worth a try and the govt has solid bennies
    Last edited by super fish; Oct 4, 2011 at 10:24 PM.

Images
    [QUOTE=GnarActually;108931]uncw out of state tuition is only 3 grand more than in state tuition NJ and PA state schools.

also: i have never surfed a more crowded line up in my life than crystals in WB. I'm talking like...maybe 300-400 during irene, maybe?

Theres always a little nook, and usually a ripple if you are itching to get wet. I had the most fun session in months last....tuesday? It was only like waist to stomach occ. chest but its was mostly clean soft N winds and chunky and powerful. Just so fun, very consistent and walling up. my point:it breaks better here than NJ/MD/DE when its waist high. depends on tides.
    QUOTE]

Someone is going to strongly disagree with you on that hahaha..just waiting for it.

Images
    [QUOTE=super fish;108934]
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    uncw out of state tuition is only 3 grand more than in state tuition NJ and PA state schools.

QUOTE]

Someone is going to strongly disagree with you on that hahaha..just waiting for it.
    Im gonna have to agree with him on that. I lived down there for a year and although it doesnt get epic like NJ does I think its more consistent and shortboardable even on the smallest days.